SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Firework rant

michaelmorris

When I was young (a long, long time ago!) fireworks went off around bonfire night and or the nearest weekend. Nowadays they seem to be spread over several weeks or more! Not that it particularly bothers me apart from when something goes 'bang!' when I least expect it!

Louise

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you check the moon forecast for the 5th as well?   I wouldn't worry too much about how much viewing/imaging will be lost this week :grin:

I'll be doing NB Ha on The Pacman, so should have a fighting chance. Assuming the forecast holds up. It'll be the last imaging I do before I put a lot of fragile / expensive stuff (Including my imaging rig) into store while my house is rewired.

Did you check the moon forecast for the 5th as well?   I wouldn't worry too much about how much viewing/imaging will be lost this week :grin:

Its going to be the only clear night Ive had in weeks - yes its a full moon but Ive a freshly flocked dob and a new ES eyepiece to test out ! Typical its a also bonfire night ! Still going out regardless  :grin: :grin:

As a small child, my brother and I weren't allowed fireworks. We watched the neighbours going off from our bedroom windows.

These days, I find it strange that every November 5th, aren't we commerating what was essentially an act of terroism? Yes, I know that with the 'Guy' burning on the bonfire, it's the terrorist suffering, but still!

Around here, we can hear them start up nearly a month ahead of Nov 5th, and for days after it. I think individuals being sold them should be banned, and if we MUST have shows, then public displays are the way to go. More controlled, and no little naffs/neds/etc terrosising everyone else over a period of a month or so! (And don't get me started on corner shops who used to sell them to underage kids. Heck, nowadays, even ASDA sells the damn things!)

This rant over as well! :)

No you are supposed to be celebrating the fact that the plot (ie the 'terrorism') was discovered and failed, ensuring that democracy & the rule of law preveilled arcorss the UK (that the burning of the guy part)

The fireworks part are supposed to be asymbolic reminder the Elgov that they are not immune from their acts in parliment & that if they repress the population too far someone will take action and maybe next time they (& the rest of us if its someone even more repressive) may pay the ultimate price

As such its worth allowing bonfire night with associated fireworks either on the 5th or the nearest weekend is acceptable assuming all the usual caveats are followed, such as has been mentioned, no letting them off after 11pm (but then most things like this should be listed as; 'use your brain, your moron' in acts of law imo)

They were at it last night. Why the 4th? Why not wait one day till the proper date?

November 5th is a celebration of our political freedom and should be respected. Somehow, lately, the meaning has gotten buried.

Remember, remember

The fifth of November

Gunpowder, treason, and plot

I see no reason

Why gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot.

Anyone else remember that rhyme? I think it dates right back to the years after the event.

I have found it a bit of a pain for astronomy in the past, a rocket down the dob can't be good for the mirror. But this year I went to a fab little display and really enjoyed it.

It's a shame it is dragging on so long for some folks, our way there has not been that much so far, it seems to have died down in recent years, I imagine due to cost/tightening of belts/buying telescope gear.

Fair number of fireworks here last night but it was a write off for imaging, far too much unwanted light. All I did was get to grips with EQMOD polar alignment tool, and refine my polar alignment.

By golly it was cold though, and humid / damp with it which just makes things worse. Had the first frost of the Autumn too this morning.

No imaging for me for a couple of weeks, as my imaging rig has gone into store along with all the other fragile / expensive stuff while the house is rewired.

Next door neighbour set off 360 gigatonnes of fireworks within 3 metres of my observatory with all sky camera on it last night.  Luckily it appears as though nothing hit the all sky camera.  I'll have to wait for the weekend before I can inspect it in detail - not impressed!

Regarding banning Fireworks - well, we could control them a bit more. They do in Northern Ireland, though it's not clear if that's 'cos it's a nice earner (selling the licences) or a sensible attitude towards sales of explosives in Northern Ireland.

Archived