Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Firework rant

michaelmorris

It's actually got a little more sensible around here the last few years. I think folks tightening their purse strings is the reason. About four years ago it was more like shock and awe than Guy Fawkes night. Couldn't even watch the TV as we couldn't hear it over the constant bangs.

I don't mind people having fun but do feel sorry for pets. Most must get terrified. Saying that though my old pitty used to like fireworks and would sit outside happily watching them. Crazy hound.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the difference is your hobby doesn't disturb people and animals over a two-week (or more) period. Or at least I hope it doesn't. ;) Around here we always seem to have a couple of heart-attack moments where some muppet lets one off in the middle of the night....

5th November is one of our rituals, I wouldn't ban it, but if it could be restricted to one or even two weekends that would be better for a lot of people.

If disturbance is a reason for banning it then you would also have to ban every concert, every fair, every fete, every airshow, every race meet, every party, every ...

On the other hand if we're talking about social value then our pastime contributes squat diddly to most people and is only an expense to us, on the other hand here we spend about £2000 on fireworks in the one of the smallest villages around here (well the village does I don't have that money) but it raises about £5000 for charities.

If disturbance is a reason for banning it then you would also have to ban every concert, every fair, every fete, every airshow, every race meet, every party, every ...

Nope, but it is a good idea to regulate these things. Concerts, for example, have an end time to limit disturbance and to give the concert goers a chance to get home while public transport is still running.

Nope, but it is a good idea to regulate these things. Concerts, for example, have an end time to limit disturbance and to give the concert goers a chance to get home while public transport is still running.

There are similar regulations governing the use of fireworks. Fireworks, for example, are not supposed to be used after 11pm (later limits are allowed at certain times and events e.g. new year, 5th november, Diwali etc.) If people are ignoring those rules that is grounds for complaint but not grounds for a ban.

The difference is any restrictions on firework use are almost unenforceable once they are in the hands of the public. This leads to two unpalatable options - an outright ban on public sale or the current situation where a few thoughtless people cause trouble. Talking about the problems fireworks can cause does help as some people will take notice.

Time was, bonfire night *was* the 5th of November, not the nearest convenient weekend, or both nearest weekends or whatever. You could buy fireworks for a couple of weeks upto the 5th then nothing until next year, and woe betide anyone who let anything off early. So it was just one big bang and out of the way for another year.

Keep fireworks for defined cultural dates, and only those dates, not birthdays or any other excuse.

I enjoy the light aspect of fireworks, but would be very happy if the were all required to be near silent. Nothing wrong with a pack of sparklers and a box of 'traffic lights', remember those? :) no need to spook all the animals with ridiculously loud sonic booms.

I have two video cameras recording meteors every night.  Last night blessed fireworks triggered the one camera over 250 times and filled up the entire hard disk on the observatory computer. :eek:

How dare small children have fun!!! :evil:

Rant over.

Wow - I didn't plan on a light-hearted ranting at my own lack of foresight would spark (pun intended) a serious debate about fireworks!

Don't get me wrong, I love fireworks.  I don't love the fact that I forgot to make sure my hard disk had loads of space on it before the fireworks season.  Next year I'll try to plan more carefully.

Now, where is that blue touch paper? ..........

Anyone got a light?

Time was, bonfire night *was* the 5th of November, not the nearest convenient weekend, or both nearest weekends or whatever. You could buy fireworks for a couple of weeks upto the 5th then nothing until next year, and woe betide anyone who let anything off early. So it was just one big bang and out of the way for another year.

Keep fireworks for defined cultural dates, and only those dates, not birthdays or any other excuse.

They should just sell them the day before said dates.

I love fireworks and used to organise public displays (and stage pyro at concerts) many moons ago. I even turned down a job as Quality Manager for a Fireworks company once!. However, I would strongly support stopping the sale of fireworks to the general public and make them for use at organised events by licensed professionals only.

I don't like seeing things banned, especially when it is the fault of the person, but there are plenty of people I wouldn't trust with a pair of scissors let alone explosives, even pretty ones.

Why do the weather gods hate us? ;)

Mark

It's a long and complicated story that utlimately stems from an incident of an early Babylonian astrologer raising his voice a little in frustration when yet another cloud rolled in front of critical conjunction. 

The gods had had a pretty good party the night before and were all still a bit grumpy with a hangover.  They took umbridge at the astrologer for 'dissing' them.  After that it all spiralled in to a messy argument that has ultimately ended up with the worship of false idols (Michael Fish) and bad weather. :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: .

I wonder how many of us did not enjoy a fireworks party ( family or public ) when we were kids , I know I did and still do.

I even remember the next day collecting the dead fireworks and then setting them up with my brother as we played , simple things pleasing simple minds :)

I wonder how many of us did not enjoy a fireworks party ( family or public ) when we were kids , I know I did and still do.

I even remember the next day collecting the dead fireworks and then setting them up with my brother as we played , simple things pleasing simple minds :)

I love the smell of spent fireworks in the morning ...

November 5th is my sister's Birthday and one of our Aunts' so we used to have a big family bonfire party every year. On Nov 5th, usually about 8 o'clock.

Bonfire night is second only to Pancake day in my personal 'cultural events' calendar :D

November 5th is my sister's Birthday and one of our Aunts' so we used to have a big family bonfire party every year. On Nov 5th, usually about 8 o'clock.

Bonfire night is second only to Pancake day in my personal 'cultural events' calendar :D

My Dads is the 5th , my aunts the 6th so very similar in our house.

As a side note my daughters birthday is 31 Oct and littlest brother is 1st April so remembering these dates is easy :)

Of course another option is rather than restricting their use, educate people to be responsible. Probably too late for most adults but that's why we start 'em young here and put the five year olds in charge.

Bonfire night and Halloween all get a bit 'Wicker man' around here

post-26321-0-84557900-1415023884_thumb.j

and in case anyone's wondering at the irresponsibility / safety of that, it's the arrangement put in place by the primary school, church and bonfire society.

I remember my Brother telling me of a firework that went wrong, he had to attend for some reason as he worked for the Environment Agency.

This firework was one of the very big display ones costing a good deal of money and in his view should only be handled by experts. The firework went wrong and exploded just out of the casing at about 10 feet, it took out all the windows of the house and the nieghbours both sides and all there could not hear properly for over a week, I would say it was only luck that no one was killed.

It's a long and complicated story that utlimately stems from an incident of an early Babylonian astrologer raising his voice a little in frustration when yet another cloud rolled in front of critical conjunction. 

The gods had had a pretty good party the night before and were all still a bit grumpy with a hangover.  They took umbridge at the astrologer for 'dissing' them.  After that it all spiralled in to a messy argument that has ultimately ended up with the worship of false idols (Michael Fish) and bad weather. :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: .

Hang on a mo, how come we astronomers are being punished for an ASTROLOGERS mistake. I call shenanigans! :)

Typical! Just watched the BBC weather, ridge of high pressure on Wednesday....that's right, Bonfire Night! That timing just sucks!

Why do the weather gods hate us? ;)

Mark

Did you check the moon forecast for the 5th as well?   I wouldn't worry too much about how much viewing/imaging will be lost this week :grin:

Archived