NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The apparently insatiable kit drive

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a beginner who has spent the last 6 months building a list, planning my setup to the minute detail, spending hours on forums, reading reviews to get it right, I thought I had finally 'frozen' my list of what I needed to buy.

After reading this thread, I am afraid ... I am very afraid ...

I really do need the "retail therapy" :D  Slowly recovering from a bereavement - well it's a good excuse :)  But I have come to a definite point in my life when my principles have changed.  No more worrying about the future - who knows what might happen, "can't take it with you", no dependents or relatives who would need it etc. etc.  So my BIG plan is to enjoy life and make the most of it.  I am limited by my income (pension) and the borrowing limit on my credit card.  I won't take out extra loans - I am not going to get myself in a vicious circle of debt but I AM going to buy what I want up to that prescribed limit. :)

I have certain plans for my future in astronomy :-

1. C11 second hand - purchase in progress :-
  2. Another Atik 460EX CCD mono camera to complete the trio for triple imaging.
  3. Extra vintage M42 SLR lenses for widefield.
  4. Two more Esprit 80ED scopes to go with the first for triple imaging.
  5. Possibly an upgrade from webcam for planetary imaging.
  6. Possibly a Hyperstar for the C11.

Add to that various odds and ends.  That'll do for now :D

Think I've got most of the kit I need for the time being, my money is being saved up for the observatory fund - which will hopefully allow me to get more use out of it, and declutter the house.

Me too. With said observatory I can grab the odd hours here and there that we tend to get in UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a lovely 12" flextube DOB - what more could I possibly want?

Oh yeah... Three ES 82deg EPs would be fine to have

And... A 4" riser SW mini dovetail to 1\4" thread to mount my 70mm f5 frac as a finderscope

Erm... A super high quality dual speed focuser.

Eek... paracorr coma corrector

Need to go have a sit down and a serious talk to myself about how to rob a bank.

Where do I begin! I'm basically a buying and selling kit addict. I try and justify to myself and, well, my wife that if I buy second hand I'm only on average losing the postage costs, but I could really do with a second hobby to try and divert my thoughts away from all the lovely glass and metal. I'm starting to learn to code in C# for both the challenge and it's FREE!

I keep thinking I'm ok. Reduced my kit to a reasonable size, only a couple of refractors, and one good versatile mount, and a fair selection of eps. And then like tonight, I decide I really need a new widefield ep to fit the whole of m45 in, maybe a 20 ro 30mm Delos or something else, and then I really need more aperture to see some DSOs better, and maybe then a good apo and camera to take some nice pictures, and maybe a webcam for Jupiter when its up, and...and... and... (deep breath, count to 10) I feel better again :).

(I'm serious about the widefield ep though...lol)

Archived