Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The apparently insatiable kit drive

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly no. I'm in remission, passionately keen on the idea of just letting what I have do its thing. Mind you, what I have isn't all mine and its pretty good. My fantasy is a technician (AKA slave) to do things like capture the data, sort out tracking and focus, stack and calibrate the night's data, bring me a bacon sandwich in the morning (even though in this system I haven't been up all night.) So that would leave me to.... ah.... well... ah.... do a bit of tiddling about in Photoshop which is what I'm good at!!!

:grin: lly

Not for me, quite the opposite, i still want to par my kit list to the bone, i really would love to get back to "just one" scope, my 150 mak would be the best choice, but i really cant let the TAL100 go, the only bit of kit i am toying with is a new sheet of Baader solar film to make a full aperture filter for my mak

I've been much better lately, really :rolleyes2:

If I had a meter of some sort on each item of kit that recorded how often it was used during, say, a year, I'm sure I'd take a long hard look at my inventory though :undecided:

very true John hence my other post above

Yes, I'm struggling to Shane! I had this plan of what I would like in a few years time, but seem to have acquired it all now!!

Might have to have a clear out soon, but the scope count has crept back up again!!

There's a reason for having each of them of course ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A term used by Jazz musicians trying to capture that elusive improvisation rhythm, Chasing the Tail, probably applies to kit addiction / obsession. As you evolve or fundamentally change a key item, then its a bit like opening a Pandora box and suddenly all manner of things might (tempt) require to be considered, changed or included. My own kit (scope and eyepieces) are quite different to what they were only twelve months ago. The trick is actually getting to use it all with a degree of consistency and at least many items can be traded towards the cost of alternative items. Id like to think though that I have 'arrived' in terms of adjusting my own set up and money will be best spent from now on at the garage. 

I've got a hankering after a better mount, thinking of an Avalon M-Uno, but that will have to wait until I've put in a pier and improved my security. Having a £650 HEQ5 lifted would be annoying but bearable, having a £3,850 M-Uno lifted would be a disaster!

Sometime down the line an Altair-Astro triplet (102 or 115) is waiting, then the big-rig, whatever it turns out to be!

Honestly no. I'm in remission, passionately keen on the idea of just letting what I have do its thing. Mind you, what I have isn't all mine and its pretty good. My fantasy is a technician (AKA slave) to do things like capture the data, sort out tracking and focus, stack and calibrate the night's data, bring me a bacon sandwich in the morning (even though in this system I haven't been up all night.) So that would leave me to.... ah.... well... ah.... do a bit of tiddling about in Photoshop which is what I'm good at!!!

:grin: lly

Automation ;) Wake up, set data calibrating, have breakfast, process calibrated data :)

I thought this was going to be a thread to help folks trying kick the aquisition habit ........... but it's turning into the prelude to more shopping sprees. I should have known better I guess :undecided:

I can come up with loads of stuff I'd like to have but little that I actually need if I'm honest :rolleyes2:

Gearwise...

humm

widefield is sorted, maybe a 690 in preferance to the 683 or the larger 8300 replacement coming out.

get long focal lenght sorted, not sure im liking this sbig i have. the RC seems fine though it will do for some luna as and when too.

Solar, i have a lunt 35 coming to start the dabble.

I thought this was going to be a thread to help folks trying kick the aquisition habit ........... but it's turning into the prelude to more shopping sprees. I should have known better I guess :undecided:

I can come up with loads of stuff I'd like to have but little that I actually need if I'm honest :rolleyes2:

I'm not sure need has ever come into it has it John? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About ten years ago I estimated how much each how much each hour of observing cost me in equipment.  It was a shock and I haven't bought anything major since.

Not really an option for astrophotographers though.

It finally hit me a fortnight ago, that I was finished being a "collector" and now must sell off all the non-essential Rubbish I'm not using - scopes, eyepieces, various and sundry accessories I thought were filling a need I had.

Currently parting with (or at least trying to sell) quite a bit, and beginning to feel some strange relief about it. 

When i first started in this fine hobby, i had one scope, a 200 newt, i did not get on with it, and got a 120mm evostar.The newt got put to one side and the frac worked for me, eventually i gave the newt to a friend and managed with just one scope and 2 ep`s.........now i have 6 scopes and  a box full of ep`s plus 3 mounts................and hardly a clear sky

Archived