Newbie from Hartlepool

NosamLuap

Hi all - I just picked up my first telescope (a Sky-Watcher Explorer-130P), and right on cue the clouds rolled in :)

I'm a keen photographer, so I'll be hoping to get some images once I figure out how to drive the telescope and where to point it.

cheers

Paul

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all :)

Hi and welcome. Download Stellarium - it's free and should help you locate targets.

Peter

I was about to say "Ah, I use Linux so...", then found that Stellarium is actually supported on Linux. Happy days! I'll download that now, thanks. 

Hi Paul & Welcome to SGL.  Have a look at the Imaging forum if you are interested in AP & the Beginners for help & advice on using the scope.  You can always type your scope into the search section, top right & you will find other posting on the 130P, there is a scroll down box just pick forums.

Hi Paul and welcome to SGL - Good to have you on board. Perhaps give imaging a miss for a while, it's a different beast altogether and wildly different from anything you may do during the day time!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Paul and welcome to SGL - Good to have you on board. Perhaps give imaging a miss for a while, it's a different beast altogether and wildly different from anything you may do during the day time!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hmmm... run before walk, eh? ;)

I'm sure it's good advice, but I'm itching. I understand my slr well, I understand night photography (time until stars streak give focal length etc). And a telescope is just a lens, isn't it? :p

Well, I popped my telescope cherry last night :)

With the guidance of my friend, I set up the scope at about 19:00 - just as the moon was rising. Played with the eyepieces that were supplied with my kit (25mm and 10mm, plus a 2x Barlow), practiced focussing, got used to the image being inverted (though every time I try to move the scope, I set off the 'wrong way' first and have to backtrack!).

He showed me some of his eye pieces - similar focal lengths, but better quality (Plossl?) - and where I'd been impressed with those supplied, I could see the benefit of the better optics - less chromatic aberration, especially towards the edge of the frame.

Sadly, Saturn wasn't visible from my garden (houses/trees in the way), but I enjoyed just looking at the moon - the detail was amazing.

It's also surprising how many stars are visible, even in a light polluted area, which you can't see by eye - I'd point the scope at one of the few visible stars, and it would show dozens more when I looked through the eyepiece.

3 hours passed before we knew it - I then realised quite how cold I was (in just a T-shirt/Jeans), so packed up.

It's certainly whetted my appetite - I'm really keen to see Saturn, so that's my next target.

And, amazingly, I did heed the advice and resist the temptation to attach my SLR - just enjoyed the view. I did grab a shot with my mobile, just holding it in front of the eyepiece, so I have a record for posterity :D

Cheers

Paul

Archived