Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter Sept 4th first of the season!

Space Cowboy

Thanks fellas! Callisto is to the left on the IR shot and you can just make out Europa below Jupiter's equator and then the transit shadow though not sure if that is Europa's or Callisto's? As Michael says the GRS is not on view. Hazy cloud was prevalent and my planetary imaging rustiness from 3 months away did not help. Colour balance is poor on the colour image, not easy to get right when daylight is rising.

You're not hanging about, are you? :D

Well done.  I wasn't even aware that it was dark at 6am.  It's not a time of day that has much meaning for me.  I'm guessing from the sunrise times that you must have been pushing quite heavily into twilight?

James

Thanks Simon I don't have children to keep me awake but I do have cows to get me up in a morning and one was close to giving birth so needed to get up early anyway lol

Getting my eye in early James, need to be firing on all cylinders when Jup is at its best and this time of year the seeing can be the best even at low alt. Always seems calmest at dawn when the mist is in the air. It was lighter at 6am than I anticipated to be honest and I was rushing to get some images in before the sun came up. Despite this my last image at 6.09am is the best colour shot (see below).

Cheers Steve Jupiter is our only planet at a decent altitude these days so we have to make the best of it while we can.

Colour image taken at 6.09 GMT using Auto Dob 250 & QHY5L-II :

post-4016-0-29484800-1409828939.png

Thanks Simon I don't have children to keep me awake but I do have cows to get me up in a morning and one was close to giving birth so needed to get up early anyway lol

Lawdy - next you'll be telling us they make you your breakfast and set the scope up as well - it really is a bit rough if one of the cows not only has to get up early to give birth plus also see to getting you up - you must have trained them well, but give 'em a break mate..! :shocked:  :rolleyes:

Certainly an early start Stuart! :icon_salut:

Lawdy - next you'll be telling us they make you your breakfast and set the scope up as well - it really is a bit rough if one of the cows not only has to get up early to give birth plus also see to getting you up - you must have trained them well, but give 'em a break mate..! :shocked:  :rolleyes:

Certainly an early start Stuart! :icon_salut:

Oh yes Darryl, they have everything set up ready for me, thats why I have  a Dob. Ever seen a cow polar align an EQ mount? Not a pretty sight! :icon_rendeer:

Thanks Farside & Pete!

Good first go Stuart. I will likely wait until about 30 plus degrees. As you say seeing is often better at this time of the year in the morning. Seeing last year certainly was better for me early on in this neck of the woods. Housing estates don't help. But its more complicated than that, as you know. Even open fields or the coast will still be under the mercy of any jet streams over the UK, And we had a lot last year I remember. Hope we don't get a massive Jet stream dominating like last year. So we can get some good stuff done

Hard to make out the fine detail this early, but the SEB and NEB seem quite active.

Archived