Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Favorite childhood astronomy book?

reddoss

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The Stars" - by H.A.Rey

I used to check it out from the school library until I got my own copy.  The dust jacket opened into a star chart. I still have it. :smiley: 

I picked up a newer version many years ago, which I recently gave to a friend; as I understand, it's still available in print. 

post-21902-0-14429800-1408997175.jpg

post-21902-0-72709900-1408997224.jpg

Quite a few 'old friends' have been mentioned that I've still got on my shelf:

• Patrick Moore's Observers Guide to Astronomy
  • Menzl's Field Guide to the Stars and Planets
  • Rukl's Concise Guide to the Constellations (to which I've added the Moon, Mars & Venus companion in recent times)

Another inspiring book from a young age which I no longer have was the Ladybird Book of the Night Sky.

I had this one always out on loan from the library back in the 80s.    attachicon.gifastronomy with binoculars.jpg

It was great  :smiley:

That was my favourite. I bought my own copy and it was used so much it fell to bits. The first thing that got me hooked was the Apollo program. I begged my parents (successfully, bless them) if I could see the first man on the moon live on TV, even though it was way past my bed time. I was allowed to see it, and that really got me hooked.

Possibly not my first astro book, but certainly the one that I - as a teenager - found inspiring,...... and still do ....  would by "Starlight Nights" by Leslie Peltier.

Les

I only recently read this - bought a copy on amazon - looks to be exactly the same edition. I really enjoyed it :).

My first astronomy book, like for so many, was Patrick Moore's Observers Book of Astronomy (around 1970). A couple of years later I was given a copy of Nigel Calder's Violent Universe too.

I wish I could remember more about mine, as I'd love to get another copy. It would have been in the 70s and was about the size of an observers book. Soft cover with a picture of Saturn on the front - I thought it was called 'the Stars' but seems unlikely as it covered all aspects of amateur astronomy. Anyone got any idea?

I think mine was the 'I-Spy - The Sky' :book1:

attachicon.gifthe sky.jpg

...and I think my edition cost me 1/6 (a weeks pocket money).

one and six? Riches beyond the dreams of avarice, I got a shilling a week. Of course i was only a child then and now that I have a wife a house a teenage daughter and of course a job  I get much more but half a crown doesn't go as far as it used to

If you were hooked by astronomy at a young age, which was your favorite astronomy or space book that inspired you and why?

Mine was The Observers book of Astronomy by Sir Patrick Moore. I ordered a 1971 edition on e-bay and it arrived today. It was a little emotional to be re-united with a childhood friend, especially when I turned to the page with the illustrations of the coloured double stars. I just used to love that page as  and 11 year old boy, and still do now!

Same as that, I was about 11 I think. One of my daughters bought me the same edition last year for Christmas as it goes

Archived