NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Something not quite right with my new Vixen frac

I knew I was treading on dodgy turf buying the dreaded refracting telescope. Thanks to a kind SGLer I received my diagonal and was keen to try it. After many years of using dobs I am a pretty decent observer and consider that I know what I am doing but when I use this scope all I can see is a blurry image no matter where I focus. It's a kind of sandy tone too. Can anyone help me suss out what's wrong? In case it helps here's a pic of me using it.

post-5119-0-05804500-1404751066_thumb.jp

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a big dob lover I still have to say there's nothing quite like a frac for the objects within the bounds of our solar system (can't get into doubles)

Hope you have an enjoyable 1st light! :)

Thought you had a problem until I saw the pic...... :smiley:

One of the things I like about refractors is viewing double stars - pinpoint stars with diffraction rings, even my less than apo corrected  70mm Pronto does that, very nice indeed.

Plus the wide field views of course, 17x and 3.8 degrees with a 27mm EP.

Enjoy it, Ed.

It looks like a toothpick even compared to your 6" F/11 Shane !

You can stop it down to a 1" F/35 with an on-aperture mask you know  :wink:

Seriously though, I find the way refractors present binary stars really nice - there is something about the crisply defined airy disk and single diffraction ring around each star that is very pleasing to my eyes at least.

Edit: I see Ed agrees ! 

ha ha

couldn't resist!

I totally agree about double stars and good idea John, there's a small removable cap on the objective cover which would give me a 40mm f22!

what little I did see of it the other night was good. Epsilon Bootis was incredibly easy and clean at 150x and that was lying on the ground craning my neck with no diagonal!

Try some clusters, you'll be in for pleasant surprise. Even better , run along the spine of Cygnus to check out the Cygnus star fields, hurrah !

A good kick off test is the epsilon double double of Lyra, enjoy under those

Clear skies

Nick.

:-) Nice one Shane, I see you are using the Aussie Observing method there. You have a good scope there give Porrima a go, its splitting nicely now with sensibke mags and apetures

:-) Nice one Shane, I see you are using the Aussie Observing method there. You have a good scope there give Porrima a go, its splitting nicely now with sensibke mags and apetures

haha good one mate...steady on..one of the Mods is from down-under!

- in fact it just got it's first slight raining on - christened it!

but if not it will be back out in a bit

Thats one of the plus points of a smaller aperture achromat - virtually nil cool down time. You can pop them in and out during a session and it really does not make any difference to their performance. Useful in times of variable weather !

When I moved to ED refractors I noticed that some cool down was needed to get the best out of them at higher powers.

Your looking in the wrong end and pointing it the wrong way up. You need to also squat on the floor and hold your breath until you can feel your heartbeat in your closed eyeball only then will you be able to tap the tube and see galaxies.

Shane,

I've been in touch with Opticron UK, the main Vixen dealer in the UK, and a very helpful young lady has given me the solution to your problem:

1. Dismantle the scope and mount.

2. (Carefully)..box up the scope and mount in the original packaging.

3. Address the package to: F15 Rules, Market Bosworth, England, enclosing a note reading: "Dear Dave, I am a dyed-in-the-wool reflector addict and am not intelligent enough to use a refractor. Please make use of this scope with my compliments. Signed, Shane"

Job done. :grin:  :p  :evil:

it's good to see that cloud release works just the same for fracs as newts. last night the sky tried a bit but clouded over just the same as for any other scope I have ever had. :grin:

I'll send proof of my ability to use my 6" f11 dob so I can see the floor, later :grin:

Archived