Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi everyone!

Sakura

I'm a Uni student from Australia.  I'm completely in love with the beauty of the night sky ever since I saw a comet as a child. Been using the naked eye to observe the stars for years, but lately I've decided that I wanted to take this a bit more seriously and have bought a book on astronomy for beginners, alI that is to buy a telescope :D Currently thinking of purchasing the  Skywatcher 6" Dobsonian telescope.

Am looking forward to all the new things i will learn.   

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sakura and welcome to SGL from an Aussie now in the uk. You'll not go wrong with a 6" dob. A larger one will allow you to see more but it also costs more and is harder to transport. Get it out to a really dark site and it's as good as a 10-12" in light polluted cities. Where abouts in Oz are you? I'm from Wollongong, just south of Sydney origionally.

Welcome to the Forum!

A 6" is a neat Starter telescope, If you can stretch your Budget a Bit you could Get a 8" ( http://www.google.com/m?hl=de&gl=de&client=ms-android-sonyericsson&source=android-browser-type&q=clark+vision+m51 <-equals the impression under Good conditions when observing longer; Comparison simulation of deepsky objects with smaller telescopes: http://www.binoviewer.at/beobachtungspraxis/teleskopvergleich_deepsky.htm / , )

If you want to observe planets, that will work in mediocre conditions as well, for deep sky, a dark location is key, else even bright nebulae may be only faint ( http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/001459.html ) or not visible at all. First indicator of a dark location: milky way visible?

If Not you will have to Transport the telescope to a dark Site (car, or at least a bike hanger, or something smaller that'll fit into a backpack -> Heritage 130p for example).

What ever you may choose:

Good luck with your purchase and have a lot of fun getting started :-)

It's an amazing hobby.

if you already have a book and done naked eye observing, you're all set :-)

Aditional set of eyepieces, telrad finder + maps don't hurt, though.

Heya and welcome from Norway.  :smiley: .

6" dob sounds like a good choice, but how about stretching the budget and go for a  10" or 12" or even 16 inch instead?? :p .

Just kidding, have fun. (seriously, just kidding :smiley: )

Rune

welcome to SGL sakura. my first scope was a discovery set one cheap but done a job, couple of years later i brought 8" dob, sold that a few months later and brought a 10"dob synscan now the wife is leaving me :grin:.

i would say to you wait and save up some more and buy a larger aperture even though you have just started thinking about buying a scope. well worth it in the end.

on the other hand any scope is better than none. happy hunting and clear skys. go for a 10" nudge nudge

Welcome, Sakura. I think your choice of scope is a good choice of scope.

Of course you could save and save some more and get bigger, or even bigger aperture. But you have to get in there. Take the plunge and have fun with the hobby. It would be wrong to buy something that will not be worth keeping but your choice of scope will be worth keeping. I haven't even begun to find the things my scope will/can show me. But I know it will.

Go for it!

Hi Sakura, the Skywatchers  are superb scopes and excellent value for money, a 6" will show you lots too. I bought the 8" and it was amazing!

Don't take a year and a half to decide which scope you want like I did though, but do get some great advice from people on here then enjoy!!

Chris

I'm a Uni student from Australia.  I'm completely in love with the beauty of the night sky ever since I saw a comet as a child. Been using the naked eye to observe the stars for years, but lately I've decided that I wanted to take this a bit more seriously and have bought a book on astronomy for beginners, alI that is to buy a telescope :D Currently thinking of purchasing the  Skywatcher 6" Dobsonian telescope.

Am looking forward to all the new things i will learn.

Greetings Sakura,

Seeing that you are from Oz when you consider getting a telescope may I recommend :

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

from where to purchase a telescope. His prices are excellent. He carries a wide range of Astronomical stuff and delivery and service are very good.

Jeremy.

Archived