Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what a bad year

nightfisher

This is not a rant, just a reflection,

We are half way through this year, i can honestly say i have used my scopes about  6 times so far, all short sessions mainly quick grab an go stuff on Lunar and a tiny bit of planet work, Jupiter and Mars, not seen Saturn so far!

This is a result of horrid cloudy weather, and work plus domestic commitments getting in the way with work being main culprit. I must admit to missing a few chances due to feeling very tired or having a bout of semi man flu  :mad:

I seem to keep thinking, why do i have about four telescopes when one scope would be ample for this amount of use, but it will improve and the scopes will get used (i hope)

I get ideas to try things on my Lunar imaging, then such a long time goes by and i forget to try these wonderful ideas (like the A-focal x-box camera i made)

Hopefully soon i will get a better job and not have to work such long bad hours, this will improve things (even better a big lotto win would really help)

If i can give any one on here some great sound advice, make use of any chance to image or view, dont miss a clear sky because you dont feel like setting up, even a short little session does wonders for the "astro well being"

I am sitting typing this hoping the weather man got it right and that the cloud will clear, not looking to good at present but might still happen  :shocked:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that work circumstances can have quite an impact on the extent of opportunities, particularly considering our challenging weather conditions.  So I hope that your new job permits more opportunities for you. 

I think that work circumstances can have quite an impact on the extent of opportunities, particularly considering our challenging weather conditions.  So I hope that your new job permits more opportunities for you. 

Not got a new job yet, but a few irons in the fire, still waiting to hear back from one

night time viewing has been pretty dire but I have still had some of the best Martian views ever, have started sketching and really enjoyed it and started white light solar observing in earnest. this latter point is where I have spent most of my observing time this year. if you don't have a white light filter, adding one to your kit will greatly enhance your chances of some observing. knowing your love of solar system objects I'd suspect you already have one but if not...........

while the weather has been frustrating I've taken every opportunity I can to get out even if its only 20 minutes and some moon shots
being I only took this back up in Feb I've had quite a few decent nights and 1 or two really good cloud free nights
may even get an hour or two tonight as despite the doom & gloom forecast its actually pretty clear just now but not quite dark enough yet at 22:55 to see much

luckily I work from home and can set my own hours which makes life a lot easier for this hobby

night time viewing has been pretty dire but I have still had some of the best Martian views ever, have started sketching and really enjoyed it and started white light solar observing in earnest. this latter point is where I have spent most of my observing time this year. if you don't have a white light filter, adding one to your kit will greatly enhance your chances of some observing. knowing your love of solar system objects I'd suspect you already have one but if not...........

Yes got a decent one Shane

Have to agree.  Weather-wise it has been truly awful in this neck of the woods.  It's not just confirmation bias either.  The warm (but grey and wet) winter has meant that bee colonies have not been following their usual patterns and there were huge numbers of swarms in April, which is very rare.  Our apples, pears and other fruit are really patchy because most of it didn't get very well pollinated if the flowering period coincided with poor weather.  The oilseed rape (of which there is hundreds of acres around here) was in flower for about six weeks when it's usually barely more than two, again because the pollinating insects were rarely able to fly thanks to the weather.

And today whilst working outside I noticed that the blackberries are in flower.  That's not supposed to happen for another month or so!

Our weather, for whatever reason, is going through a very strange phase over the last few years.  Every season seems to be extreme in one manner or another.  Spring was apparently one of the warmest in the last hundred years, but also had something like 150% of the average rainfall and 75% of the average sunlight.  I hope it sorts itself out some time soon.  I don't really care if it's warmer or colder.  I could just do with not looking out every day and seeing yet another grey sky.

James

I didn't realise you were out of work Jules. sorry to hear that mate. hope you get sorted soon.

Shane, im not out of work, still at the slave camp hence doing all the silly hours under the sun! need to work a few hours less...........sent you an email re finder shoe

Is it just me , but for the past year or so it seems to me that every time there is a clear night it is nearly always around the time of a full moon?  This makes imaging and DSO observing almost impossible.

Is it just me , but for the past year or so it seems to me that every time there is a clear night it is nearly always around the time of a full moon?  This makes imaging and DSO observing almost impossible.

I think that really is confirmation bias :)  You tend to notice the full moon if it is clear.

James

I was getting a tad frustrated with the lack of observing time but I took the plunge and purchased a Herschel wedge, quickly followed by a dedicated Ha solar scope :smiley:  All was funded by selling the very expensive kit I had at the time.

I now have the options to view:

Solar in white light and or Ha  

Night time Lunar, planetary and deep sky

Some daytime terrestrial activity

I think the more options you can create with a few choice accessories the more you can limit the UK observing drought. :smiley:

I hope you manage to find a job that is more suitable for you Jules

Sometimes being a newbie to this hobby has it's advantages, couldn't say if it's been a bad year or not. I do, however, sympathise with your work situation. I work shifts which is a real pain in the kneecaps because it only ever seems to be clear skies when I'm working  :sad:

If i can give any one on here some great sound advice, make use of any chance to image or view, dont miss a clear sky because you dont feel like setting up, even a short little session does wonders for the "astro well being"

I used to think like this, but I'm changing as an observer. Quantity for me is taking a back seat to quality.

I used to jump up and be out like a rat up a drain pipe at every chance. I've discovered it's simply not worth it. So-so conditions and LP skies really effect my enjoyment of this hobby to the point where I just won't observe with them any more.

I'm enjoying my observing away from LP and so-so conditions much more and won't be going back.

Quantity for me is a not as important as quality nowadays.

I don't get out as much as I used to. A lot of it is down to poor weather. Some of it is down to tiredness - I don't always feel like carrying all the kit out, even if it's a clear night.

I need a permanent set up in an obsy, but don't have the room for one.

When I've completed my house move I'll be able to free up some funds for kit, which will go on a cooled CCD and NB filters to give me a fighting chance against moonlight and general LP.

I expect cloud cover to be total and perpetual :sad:

I used to think like this, but I'm changing as an observer. Quantity for me is taking a back seat to quality.

I used to jump up and be out like a rat up a drain pipe at every chance. I've discovered it's simply not worth it. So-so conditions and LP skies really effect my enjoyment of this hobby to the point where I just won't observe with them any more.

I'm enjoying my observing away from LP and so-so conditions much more and won't be going back.

Quantity for me is a not as important as quality nowadays.

My thoughts entirely, nothing beats a dose of planning, determined effort and an element of good luck to take your best (currently in my case my only) scope to the best dark sky site possible for a great astronomy adventure.

When I started working shifts I thought I'd get lots of time to stargaze.

That hasn't really panned out! I find I'm fighting fatigue much of the time. I do get an 18 day break every 8 weeks and that is the only time I seem to catch up on sleep and and start to feel human again.

This cloudy weather lark doesn't help the stargazing either but to be honest I don't feel it's any worse than average over my lifetime.

There were some long clear summers when I was a boy. It also seems years since we had any runs of cold northwesterly (polar maritime) winds. They used to blow in frequent heavy showers with huge Towering Cumulus. Not ideal for having a scope set up but the sky between showers was awesome! 

I have fond memories of cycling up to the beach to escape light pollution and watching the Geminids between showers. 

Them were the days.... :)

Archived