Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do We Really Need the Moon?

Astrobits

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is likely to be another CBBC program. IMHO

Can't present  /  Don't present.

But being proved wrong, I'll happily take it on the chin.

It is far from being a CBBC program , maybe your opinion would be best kept to yourself until you have watched it ....  :mad:

Would have liked to watch it, but was put off when I found who was presenting it. so have not bothered, Since she started presenting for Sky at Night I have found it unbearable and rarely watch the show. It is a shame because I am sure that I'm missing out on some good content.

Please don't take this as a personal insult towards her, I have met her on a couple of occasions, she is very intelligent, a really nice person, a pleasure to talk science/astronomy with and has a good sense of humour. But unfortunately I just don't think she makes a good presenter

I found it quite enjoyable.

I don't think I learned a single thing but it stirred the stagnating grey matter after a long, tedious shift at work :)

Given the ground covered and the non technical audience it was aimed at I think the science was pitched about right. 

The Earth/Moon symbiosis is a beautiful example of physics in action. One of my favorite topics and I think Maggie did a good job of presenting it.

We most likely wouldn't be here if there was never a Moon. Correct me if I'm in error but the moon Kept/keeps the earth on a fairly stable wobble. (??)

I'd like to watch the show you talk about. We have "Cosmos" here in the states ...and while interesting, it's geared toward the America mindset.  (ouch)    :)

We most likely wouldn't be here if there was never a Moon. Correct me if I'm in error but the moon Kept/keeps the earth on a fairly stable wobble. (??)

Yes, that's one of my favorite bits of Moon trivia. If the Moon wasn't there it's likely the Earth's axial tilt would have reached 90 degrees at some points in its history, leading to 6 month long days and nights, unlikely to be favourable for complex life.

I'd like to watch the show you talk about. We have "Cosmos" here in the states ...and while interesting, it's geared toward the America mindset.  (ouch)    :)

I assume you're referring to the new Cosmos series?

What a shame that it's fallen short of the mark.

The original series wasn't exactly pitched at a high technical level but Sagan's eloquent and thought provoking writing makes it a timeless masterpiece.

The present science programs fall far short of appealing to those technically minded to really enjoy them. and aimed more at the general populous to have something to talk about in work the following day.

Maggie's documentary about do we need the moon was pitched fairly, but what puts me off is her style of presenting information, too......... short .......... and .......snappy sentences .............. that ........... will try .................. and make you ................... listen!  I am sure she is well renowned and professional, and more than qualified but it does come across as an uncomfortable style

Since the subject has come up about Cosmos, it is not a patch on the original, and I found it tedious after the 3rd / 4th episode as for Neil De Grasse Tyson's performance in cosmos is more about his persona than the science it is attempting to portray.

I've watched all the new Cosmos episodes to date and quite enjoy them. There's enough detail in there but I think it's balanced nicely with a storytelling style which for me is a good combination.

Is it worth watching the Carl Sagan episodes if I can find them?

And on Maggie as a presenter, the first time I saw her last year with Brian Cox et al, both me and my gf looked at each other and said something like "that's the end of this program"....

I good scientist she may be, but a presenter she is not.

All IMHO of course :smiley:

If you can find them, watch them, it's probably the greatest science program ever made by the most charismatic of presenters in Carl Sagan. He had a way of making things clear but most of all he was believable. His enthusiasm has left it's mark on me to the point were it changed my whole outlook towards the cosmos. A true true genius.

I've watched all the new Cosmos episodes to date and quite enjoy them. There's enough detail in there but I think it's balanced nicely with a storytelling style which for me is a good combination.

And on Maggie as a presenter, the first time I saw her last year with Brian Cox et al, both me and my gf looked at each other and said something like "that's the end of this program"....

I good scientist she may be, but a presenter she is not.

All IMHO of course :smiley:

Agreed, Cosmos is good and NDT is the perfect presenter.

I saw.........the moon ..........documentary..... first time around..... and thought....it was dire.

You couldn't pay me enough to sit through it again. I commented to my wife that the presenter was awful and I hoped she didn't become a regular on TV and now here we are......!

Archived