Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hello

ben the mercian

Hello everyone. Im Ben , im a current serving british soldier based in Germany but origionaly from Wolverhampton.

Ive been interested in astronomy for many years now but decided 8 months ago to dive in and buy myself a telescope.

I currently have a skywatcher explorer 130, but considering buying something a bit bigger.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys. :smiley:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heya Ben and welcome from another new member    :smiley: .

I took a small leap from 5" to 8" and I am very happy about it. I will be careful to give you any

upgrade advice, but for visual use people in here are fond of skywatcher 200p dob. I got the similar Orion XT8i

anyways welcome from me  :smiley: .

Rune

Hi Ben and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us. There's masses of friendly and knowledgeable folks on here that will help with any issues. I don't look through my scopes, so can't help you there I'm afraid :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Thanks guys. I came across the forum whilst researching a new scope. It just so happens that the one I was looking at is reviewed on here.

Its had a good review from you guys and a lot of other people. Its a big leap in size for me , from a 5.1 inch to a 12 inch dob. ive got the room for it and the dark skies out here so I decided im going to go for it in a couple of months.

Hi Ben and welcome to the forum. Moving to a 12" scope is quite a jump, might need to have a lie down after observing with it as the views you will see might come as quite a shock compared to the scope you have at the moment!  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

haha I had to have a lie down the first time I saw Saturn. It blew me away , had to take a step back from my scope to take it all in.

Im having second thoughts about changing my scope at the moment as im moving back to the UK in july, going to be based in Chester so I may play it by ear when I get there.

Thanx for the very warm welcome guys.

Ben

Hi Ben,

A warm welcome to SGL.

As already suggested, An 8" Dobsonian is a great start, and I think astounding value for money.

Be warned though, of the stargazers disease, Aperture Fever............there is no cure. :grin:

thanks. I saw the revelations 12" dob on Harrison telescopes and thought it very cheap for the quality.

However im in 2 minds now to either get the new scope or just upgrade the standard EP's im using. decisions decisions.

Archived