Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi all

sidney896

Hi everyone,

Signed up as i turn 40 in a few weeks and after talking about getting a telescope for ten years my wife has decided to start me off on the path!

Looking forward to scanning the forums and reading everyones adventures!

I'm going to look for starter telescopes (looking to spend around 200 including eyepieces) to see what people recommend.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you decided to join. There's loads of knowledgeable folks on here that will be able to help. Maybe have a trawl through the beginners section and see if anyone has already asked a similar question, see what the response was. Sadly what I know about visual can be written on a pin head!! :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi all at Stargazers lounge,

Being totally new to this in an age where everything is controllable by computer and even photography  has a place that  is separate from standard just skywatching, I find that I am going to need quite a bit of help to even half use the equipment I have.

There is so much to choose from its mind blowing!

At the age of seventy I am finding  the learning curve is not travelling at the same speed it use to and much of the reading takes some time to sink in, but I will get there, that is unless some clown blows us all up before we get there!

I have just purchased a PD colour video camera and was amazed at what came in the box, however I did manage to put it together in its basic form and get it working, but maybe someone can tell me about this question.

In the start up manual it shows the camera clearly with a lens on it but there is a bit between the lens and the camera that looks like another lens with a hump on it that screws into the camera first and then the lens, I get the feling that this has something to do with the

lens input plug on the back of the camera, but it does not say anything about this in the paperwork.?

I have a reasonable telescope, a 5" reflector set on a go to mount which really has proved to  be a boom for me as it helps me to find my way round the night sky when I do not know the names of all the stars.

I am lucky in as much as I live in a small town in Western Australia where we have  a good clear sky with no back light so there is plenty to see.

My main reason for getting into this hobby was the fact that most nights of the week one does not have to be out side for too long before you can see things moving around that are not  supposed to b e there purely by their direction  , speed and ability to change direction

very quickly, this is why I looked at the photography aspect firstly, I would like to get some good clear pictures of what ever they are, most nights one can see anything from five to fifteen or sixteen  in a couple of hours.

I did not know it until I started to get a little more interested in this that this little town has a reputation concerning this matter, and after twelve years in the service which if nothing else taught me to be observant,  I think one thing lead to the other and I joined the band of people

who spend quite a bit of time at night looking up.

Any way I think to really learn quickly it is best to join people who do this and have been doing so for a long time and therefore know a whole lot more than the likes of me, but I am learning fast!

All the best from a new member

John

Hi John & Welcome to SGL.  You would be better posting in the Beginners section to get more answers. Could you copy your posting into that section. Good luck.

Thanks all,

I've been scanning kit for ages, watched all the videos and read through a lot on this forum.....

I have basic needs - I want to look up and see stuff!

I have plumped for the Skyliner 150p Dobs, 2 x Barlow and a moon filter. I know I'll add/changes EP's later, but budget is fixed..... my wife is on board, but to a point :-)

Sounds like a relatively simple scope, will be used mainly in my garden as pretty dark but looks simple enough to port round to darker areas once I'm used to it and confident enough to meet others.

Any of you from Basingstoke Astronomical Society (BAS) you helped me too.... I took my son to an event where the club members let the Beavers (young Scouts) view the moon and Jupiter (plus many other objects) through their equipment. 

My son absolutely loved it - he's 6. We used this type of scope to view the moon and I was blown away by it.

I'm so excited I can hardly wait!!!!

I have my eye on photography later down the line but I want to start with the basics of observing and learning the sky. I'm fascinated by it all.

Those that posted in the beginners section - thank you! I hope to use (and contribute) to the forum and share in others experiences.

Clear skies!!!!

Sid

Hi Sid, welcome.   :smiley:

Good choice of hobby!  This community is lovely.

With £200 to spend - get a dobsonian, very simple mount, most of your money goes on aperture, you'll get a couple of 'stock' (cheap) eyepieces included. You can always upgrade them at a later date, once you know where your interest lies.

One of the advantages of a 'manual' mount is that you learn the skies, rather than relying on a gizmo to take you there.  A copy of a book called "Left Turn at Orion" is also a good starting point.

Nice to meet you, see you round!

m

Archived