SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which One's The North Star???

justlooking

Hi all. Not even purchased my first telescope yet but found the forum through searching for one, will be asking you questions in the advice forum before too long and hoping you don't mind too much. I joined as you are all obviously keen and from what I've seen free and fair with the advice.

As with many I watch many of the space related videos on the dreaded tube and have NASA and the JPL amongst others on my speed dial. However until recently had never thought of a scope of my own, the sheer enormity of the subject can be a little intimidating but I have decided to take the plunge. There's noobs and then there's myself dragging up the rear but as stated I feel that I will be able to ask questions so am not too worried.

Is 50 ten too old to get in to this game? As that is what I hit this year. Did a stint in the Army in my earlier incarnation and now just dabble in a little freelance research, doesn't look like I'll make the Rolls Royce any time soon neither. Listen to obscure 60's Soul as another means of relaxation as well as looking forward to learning a little about this fantastic Universe. That's me.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At another decade on to your age and you get to mine.

I just started on this hobby this year and bought my first scope.

If the sky should ever clear I will try to do some astro photography as well as visual.

Ron

Hi and welcome to the forum. You are never too old to take an interest in the universe. I guess as long as you are physically able, and your eyesight is up to it (eyepieces are available with eye-relief for those of us who wear glasses) then there is no reason why you should be limited at all.

Good luck with whatever scope you decide upon

Phil 

oh well im just a youngster at 48 :)

Bought a telescope for the current mrs Jesterowl and when i was doing the research into what scope to get her I got hooked myself. 

I got her a skywatcher 130P autotrack in September for her birthday .............................. and now im just off to get a 200P with Eq5 mount for myself :D 

Hi Justlooking and welcome to SGL, you should not worry about your age, you are never to old to observe and learn the wonders of the Heavens. Just enjoy the hobby, I have done so for quite some time and I am fast approaching 80 :) 

Hi and welcome to the forum. The problem at our age is not observing the universe that is older than ourselves, the difficulties start when you desire to observe heavenly bodies that are younger than yourself!  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

50 here too, I did start a bit earlier though but it makes no difference what age you start. Grab a pair of Binoculars and find your way around a little, you will soon find that once you see a little, you then want to see a lot. I must admit, I find this hobby totally relaxing, the ideal of going out late and just feeling the space around you really is good for the soul. Welcome on board.

Hi and welcome to the lounge

as with me, when you are in your sixties we tend to have a little more

time on our hands, and it doesn't matter when we go to bed or when

we get up, that has to be a plus to enjoy this wonderful hobby.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Archived