Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Surrey

NGC1023

A brief introduction from a new SGL member, albeit not new to stargazing :-)

It is now around three Jupiter oppositions since I bought my first telescope, a capable but (by modern standards) rather basic 3" Unitron refractor. This gave me nice views of solar system objects, but it didn't take many years until I had saved up enough to buy one of the then very common orange SCTs. Which fueled my appetite for DS observing. I did some basic photography back then, and even made some kit for Hydrogen sensitizing TP2415.  Until about Hyakutake, I lived near local dark skies, but when moving to Surrey much of the incentive to go out observing had waned; other interests & commitments, cloudy skies and the ever bright background sky near greater London all contributed to that. 

But when the big planets again showed up at the top of the ecliptic near opposition time, it was obvious something had to be done. So I got myself another refractor, one of the Chinese APOs, and more recently one of the Intes Rutten Maksutovs. Which I currently enjoy watching Jupiter through. Also had some glimpses of Mars, which needs another month to get into prime position . . .

So why NGC1023? That was the first non-Messier DSO I tracked down in my early days of observing galaxies :-)

I see that I have to post a bit more until I can add a sig.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley: love it!!! only an astronmer would count time in Jupiter oppositions "around three Jupiter oppositions since I bought my first telescope," brilliant

Hmm . . . , that didn't end up as intended; I meant   three oppositions in Gemini  - which tallies better with the era of the Unitrons  :-)

NGC1023

Archived