Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Sandbach, UK

Geoff571

Hi folks,

I'm new to star gazing and astrophotography and keen to learn more.

My initial shots have been a few ad hoc shots of the moon, but I've recently discovered star trails and stacking, so keen to experiment. Unfortunately not had any good opportunities presented yet so have mainly been trying to perfect my techniques with 2nd rate skies.

My current kit is a Nikon D90, with stock Nikon 18-105mm f3.5/4.5 and a Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Timer Remote Control shutter Release & Slik 88 tripod. 

I've attached 1 shot (unprocessed) from the middle of a set of 20 practice subs, hopefully someone will be able to explain the strange anomaly in the centre as I've no idea what caused it! 

Geoff

post-35939-0-35049600-1394289814_thumb.j

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't have an answer regarding the middle of your image but it might be worth posting a question over on the beginners imaging section as you are likely to receive more replies there.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Hi Geoff and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us. Thats odd in the middle, it looks like the camera or tripod has been knocked, but then it should show the same pattern in all of the stars I would have thought.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Geoff and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us. Thats odd in the middle, it looks like the camera or tripod has been knocked, but then it should show the same pattern in all of the stars I would have thought.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

That was my thoughts too. I can't account for it as it's in the middle of the set and there was not reason for the tripod to move (I was away from it) and even if it had I would have expected the other starts to show movement too. It's a mystery or maybe space debris coming in? 

Archived