Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How deep to dig for pier base!

Mukv

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just given permission for EDF to remove a couple of concrete electricity posts from my land.

However one of them is in the perfect spot for an Obsy. 

Post set in concrete at least 15 feet underground.

All I need is for them to agree to cutting the post rather than extracting.

Failing agreement, I'll have them leave it and chop it down myself.

Could be hairy.

Rich

Greetings

Just my bit of fun guys, this is just a structure for drainage for the house in the background of the earlier picture. Maybe my next obsy will be built this way....!

post-28592-0-56713400-1393632055_thumb.j

My mate having his turn casting out the hole!

have fun guys

Andy

just a structure for drainage 

Nah ! You're just trying to throw us off the scent,

what it really is, is the start of a mine shaft at the bottom of which you are going to put your Neutrino Observatory :) :)

Or perhaps once that chamber is roofed over and sealed you are going to keep your Dark Matter in it ?!

heheee.

Juft for the info, this was my hole.

1.2m deep on 1.5mx1.5m wide. 

The foundation sit on a 20cm layer of "stabilisé".

How much concrete do you plan to use? I was at 1000kg.

1000Kg?

1m3 is approximately 2400Kg. You should have used six and a half tonnes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi!

Always check the frost levels in your area, because it can differ by meters from location to location even within a country. In Sweden, we have frost level maps available, and I think you might have this for UK as well. Where I live, around 60 deg (in the middle of Sweden, with winter temperatures between -5 -15), the frost level is around 2 meters and that means that you should dig slightly deeper than this to be sure not to get any movements on your pier or whatever you build with concrete base.

Then you could, as an extra insurance, place 100mm styrofoam just under ground and at least 1-2 meters on each side to prevent frost to move downwards thde soil.

The big job is about digging, and you could always rent a mini excavator if lazy like me.

The pier could be 20-24 cm in diameter, with steel inserts and a concrete box base maybe 60x60x20 cm. don't forget to lay geotextile under it if unsure of the base.

I think that this part should be the part where you spend most money and time. Then you will have a pier that stands still forever!

Here is an example of such frost level map. The numbers indicate frost free level in meters.

Good luck :smiley:

attachment.php?attachmentid=91455&d=1376

Archived