Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunt Solar Telescopes Incoming

FLO

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>"I'm on the point of spending all of mine"

>>"Me too, you can't take it with you and my children will only squander it"

I've just bought a house for mine, cant decide if that makes me a good parent or not,

my victorian great gran would have had a fit,

but in this economic climate what's a soul to do ?

>"I'm making the best of whatever time I have left "on this mortal coil"

Me too !

I've already "lent" mine four times the cost of my house. :)

Dave

They've taken so long to arrive everybodys started rambling  :grin:

Dave

But if they'd rushed them out the same way that Daystar did with the 'Quark' , without adequate QC , and you'd received a duff one ... !

Hats off to David , Alan and Marcus for rejecting the first batch as unacceptable instead of just issuing them regardless ...  :smiley:

I know, I was wanting the 60 originally but I didn't have the funds. This additional delay has allowed me to save the extra.

Sorry and a BIG thanks too FLO for putting up with my messing about.

I wonder who is next on the list below Shane now, to recieve the new 50mm now I've dropped out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of mount do people use for the lunt60tha? I have a horizon tripod and feel this is not adequate.

It would be good if it didn't cost the earth too but considering the cost of the scope, I want something that will hold it SECURLY. Thanks

Az4 looks ok :)

I have a dovetail and tube rings if that helps recommendations. How would I attach the scope too the az4 mount?

That should be all you need, they have a Vixen clamp on

them so the dovetail/rings should be fine.

Skem,

I have an AZ4 and if I am honest the longer I have had it the less I like it, The mount is rock solid and is not affected by vibrations but when it comes to slewing it is either too jerky to move or too loose.

Of course this is less of a problem for Solar observing but is a bit annoying when viewing at high mag on the Lunar surface, I can never get it positioned exactly where I want it. Now if it came with slow motion controls it would be ideal.

I am thinking of getting a Skytee 2 or  a mini giro - Maybe Stu will sell me his now he has bought the daddy of giro's !!!!

Skem,

I have an AZ4 and if I am honest the longer I have had it the less I like it, The mount is rock solid and is not affected by vibrations but when it comes to slewing it is either too jerky to move or too loose.

Of course this is less of a problem for Solar observing but is a bit annoying when viewing at high mag on the Lunar surface, I can never get it positioned exactly where I want it. Now if it came with slow motion controls it would be ideal.

I am thinking of getting a Skytee 2 or a mini giro - Maybe Stu will sell me his now he has bought the daddy of giro's !!!!

Shaun, I'm afraid Michael already has 'my' mini giro :-)

I actually replaced it with something called a Giro-WR. It is a similar product, same weight, but has a built in Vixen clamp on one side. The main advantage for me is larger tension knobs and a bit more sensitivity in the adjustment.

I think to a degree all these mounts suffer the same effect, tension adjustment is frequently more on/off than we would like although the larger giros are better.

I used to have a Vixen Porta with slo mo controls. I confess than I always ended up just grabbing the scope to move it which is why I now use Giros. I find it much easier to move the scope than constantly adjust two axes.

I think a good answer could be a lightweight EQ mount where you only have to adjust one control, or have it driven. Of course you are then back into setup time etc. you can't win!

The other option is a Merlin Acuter type mount which will track reasonably accurately and give you fine control with the handset. Not sure of the weight capacity on these though.

Plenty of choice! Too much perhaps

Stu

Cheers Stu.. :smiley: I will keep searching and will look into the WR giro, can it be used as a dual mount Stu ?

I am not a fan of EQ mounts as there is too much faffing about for my liking :grin:

Archived