SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunt Solar Telescopes Incoming

FLO

Yes, same as the mini giro it can have a second clamp added on the end of the counterweight bar (easiest/neatest to get a short bar). I think the clamp part is a Telepak1 from TS.

Here are a few pics.

5a746303b5aae00d5ede48b1a0eab275.jpg

35a63b23f8a4b5fb52406776f33ab9d6.jpg

2919a770a8761a200a503c8cc9d6b3e7.jpg

77a3b084a80fcc1590b68935ed9bcc1e.jpg

6ae04d3af1c41c0c5f08f488609d6aec.jpg

I have wondered about putting it on a ball joint or the Teleoptic Wedge so that you can make a pseudo EQ mount and only need to move the giro in one axis, might be smoother?

http://www.tele-optic.co.uk/tele-optic-atc-wedge.html

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I use a Merlin mount with my Lunt 60DS and it works well enough. Max payload is 5Kg so even with a Barlow and camera it is still okay. I also mount my 102GT on a Merlin for white light solar. It is a bit wobbly and provided the wind is light it is fine.

My Merlin is a Synscan, the auto track will be the same, I don't bother aligning, just point north and then slew round for the sun, which it doesn't have in its db anyway.

I have recently bought an iOptron Cube pro, again it is the same payload, but is slightly smaller and with the inbuilt GPS and sun in the db is much faster to get set up. The Cube is however, more wobbly, but still fine for imaging with my Lunt and a Barlow. I am not sure it would be very good with my 102GT, perhaps with the supplied counterweight it would be just okay.

Hope that helps.

Robin

For solar observing, I use a mini giro and Manfrotto tripod as my grab and go, and a giro III on Vixen Hal 130 tripod at home/as the more solid set up - I can't remember if I had to get some sort of adapter, I think FLO checked for us but can't rememeber, we also put a Hal 130 tripod on our HEQ5.

The Hal 130 tripod is very light and the legs fold together without having to unscrew anything. The Hal 130 is certainly sturdy, I have used an 8 inch SCT on the Giro setup. It also looks quite swish if you are bothered about that sort of thing :D

If picking one only I'd go the regular giro and Hal 130, the mini is more sensitive to balance and fiddlier to allow smooth movement, though I like using it as my grab and go for its compactness.

The thing I love about the Manfrotto tripod is the extreme height adjustment range. I have had it cranked up to head height to peer over trees to catch the Sun and super low to catch the Sun through a window.

fab7f78a40a87be5279991693ded2530.jpgc4b3a8625035d84f9aa29c1d0b13aeee.jpg3d231af047a6d0d9550a12db7e98c7de.jpgthanks guys for the suggestions. As it stands at the moment I can't afford anything for another month. The extra I paid for the scope, has emptied the kitty.

My three options are as above .....just screw the horizon base too the scopes clam shell.....attach the dovetail and rings too the tripod and remove the scopes clam shell and slide into rings or use my heritage base. The scope weighs around 3kgs (I think) but I can't find anywhere on the next, the max weight for the horizon tripod. It is a heavy duty version though. Decisions........decisions???

Skem, we bought the Manfrotto second-hand from the Kelling Star Party! Amazon sell it for about £225, it's the Manfrotto 475B:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-475B-Digital-Pro-Tripod/dp/B000A2JU7M

Not sure, but I think we bought the mini giro from Teleskop Service in Germany:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p1541_Giro-Mini---ultrakompakte-azimutale-Montierung-fuer-Fotostative---bis-9kg-belastbar.html

I might have to buy another Manfrotto as it was supposed to be for my wife Sarah's DSLR :grin: It's pretty light and reasonably sturdy.

So your Lunt is on its way to you?! :laugh: :laugh:

Luke where do I get this manfrotto tripod and mini giro from? Thanks

Shaun, I'm afraid Michael already has 'my' mini giro :-)

Stu

Indeed I do, and it will remain here for as long as I have eyes to see through a small scope :D

It holds my LS35 and my APM80mm very nicely indeed, and should I get an LS50 or LS60 I will certainly be using it on that mount. At work I use the altogether tougher home-brew alt-az on a spare Berlebach tripod. Rock solid

post-5655-0-07860000-1403949685_thumb.jppost-5655-0-08267000-1403949651_thumb.jp
post-5655-0-97586900-1372014648_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

The Lunt 50 B400 Blocking Filter model is marked as in stock within the USA from optcorp / opc Telescopes.  Must be a good sign that some have made it out the factory to the first distributors.  Maybe not too far away now for anyone in the UK who has an interest in one.  Also the 1st reviews from over the pond will be very interesting ! 

Michael,

Lovely set up you have there, I am only one 3\8" bolt away from joining you,

I have the Giro WR for my Lunt 60 & Equinox 80. I should receive the bolt today and will be ready to play by tomorrow / Friday

• 3 weeks later...

What will the supply be like FLO ?? I assume it will be a while before your offering them for sale on your site due to fulfilling pre-orders ??

They will be in very short supply initially so are 'on allocation' meaning dealers will be sent a percentage of what they ordered to ensure all retailers receive at least one. 

As far as we can tell we were the first UK dealer to order the new Lunt-50 (thanks to SGL's members alerting us) and have ordered most so we are reasonably confident we will receive enough for existing orders but we can't promise that at this stage. It is unlikely our website will show them as available until the second delivery, we are not sure when that will be but will post here as soon as we know.
It isn't an ideal situation but we are doing our best - promise :smile:
Steve

• 4 weeks later...

They will be in very short supply initially so are 'on allocation' meaning dealers will be sent a percentage of what they ordered to ensure all retailers receive at least one. 

As far as we can tell we were the first UK dealer to order the new Lunt-50 (thanks to SGL's members alerting us) and have ordered most so we are reasonably confident we will receive enough for existing orders but we can't promise that at this stage. 

I hesitate to say this but we should recieve our first delivery of Lunt-50 B600 solar telescopes next week (probably 18th or 19th). 

If we receive the number we have been promised we will have enough to clear all but one of our customer backorders. This is intensely frustrating but we cannot squeeze any more out of them at this stage (I have tried, really I have). 

I'll post again as soon as we receive them or have more news. 

Thank-you for your patience  :icon_salut:

Steve 

lunt_LS50THa.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived