Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunt Solar Telescopes Incoming

FLO

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there won't be much difference between the 35mm and 50mm solar scope when viewing proms but how much of a difference will there be in viewing surface detail? Thanks

You will probably be true first person in the UK to know :smiley:

It might be fun if we collect the loaned Lunt 35 a week or so after we deliver the Lunt 50, so you can compare. 

Steve

I can't be the first flo, there must be other uk suppliers who will ship to customers too? I've been using the lunt 35 at every opertunity to get as much detail as I can too compare bit that idea sounds good.

I must tell you though I'm not brilliant at explaining what I see, I mean others on here are experts at it but I will certainly give it a go :)

That be cool Shane. I have a very good idea now on what kind of detail the lunt 35 can achieve in various magnifications and conditions. I can't wait to see the extra detail I can see with the 50, even a small increase would be great as the 35mm is no slouch :)

I have found when observing planets no matter how large a scope I use I can rarely go above x166- x200 but the difference in aperture becomes obvious when the air steadies and all the surface details become more defined. I'm sure you will see an increase in resolution although it will subtle until those moments of good seeing when it really pays off.

Looking at the video on YouTube of the new 50mm solar scope, I noticed something at the very end of the video. They say it's a new design in helical focusing which I would assume is on the diagonal.

At the end of the video there a guy messing about with a tuning ring which is directly attached too the back of the tube? (Could this be the focusing mechanism?

Type in "lunt 50mm solar scope" on Google and it should show up on your first page.

Non-rotating helical means that as you rotate the outer of the focuser the inner just goues up and down and does rotate.  This means that your eyepiece/camera will not rotate as you focus a big plus, as Moonshane points out.

A non-rotating helical is an advantage for visual, but a must for imaging.

Robin

We have received an email from Lunt's distributer. Lunt began production of the new Lunt LS50THa but found the objective lenses did not meet the required specification so production has been delayed while they wait for replacements. They say "While we understand that a delay like this can be frustrating, we do promise that the product you will receive will be of the highest quality. We have our supplier replacing the lenses but it will take a little time. We appreciate your patience and we are sorry for the delay but we wish to provide the best quality system.“ 

We are reasonably confident the new telescope will arrive in October. 

The new Lunt LS50C Double-Stack Filter is also delayed, we don't have an ETA for that yet but we will post news as it comes in. 

Please don't shoot the messenger  :hiding:

Steve

Good job they found out before shipping, it would have cost a lot more to sort out then.  It is a shame that this scope has suffered yet another delay, but it seems to be the season for solar scope delays, look at the Quark for another example.

Perhaps winter is the best time to bring out a solar scope/filter, there might be less demand and everyone would get them in time for the summer.

Robin

I really hope that when it finally arrives, it is in full working order. I know they say it will be but u just never know.

Don't worry Tony, the new Lunt-50 is a hugely important model for them so I am confident it will impress. 

And it will be backed by our 30-day return policy  :angel:

What do you think they mean by the objective not meeting requirements? Surly they did there sums before putting the parts together?

It be a manufacturing problem, a problem with the coating, the lens cell. Any number of things.

The important thing is that Lunt have taken the decision not to release them. They will have though carefully about the impact to their business of delaying the release, especially as it will generate bad press. I, for one, think that they made the correct decision. After all, some people might have have never noticed the error. But enough people would have and history shows that bad news can travel fast and a few (rightfully) disgruntled users can quickly tarnish a name. There's been plenty of companies that have released products on an unsuspecting public and let their customers do the beta testing. I'm glad that Lunt appears not to be one of those companies.

Archived