Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunt Solar Telescopes Incoming

FLO

Just read that the size of the internal etalon of the new LS50THa is 35mm,is this a good size? There saying on solar chat that it's one of the best ratio they seen....35mm etalon to 50mm aperture. All thus info means nothing to me,don't understand it :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read that the size of the internal etalon of the new LS50THa is 35mm,is this a good size? There saying on solar chat that it's one of the best ratio they seen....35mm etalon to 50mm aperture. All thus info means nothing to me,don't understand it :(

Yes, it's a very good  size. IIRC the Lunt 60mm has a 30mm Etalon. The big, BIG difference is that the Ls50 has a bandpass of 0.75 Angstroms and the Ls60 <0.7A.

At £795 they've pitched it nicely against the Quark.

Yes, it's a very good size. IIRC the Lunt 60mm has a 30mm Etalon. The big, BIG difference is that the Ls50 has a bandpass of 0.75 Angstroms and the Ls60 <0.7A.

At £795 they've pitched it nicely against the Quark.

what's the difference between these two bandpass figures? Which one is better?

So the centre band offset of these is different then

I don't know Michael. Ken Harrison might be the best one to speak to about this.

I would expect the PT version to give less of a sweet-spot than the tilt-tuner though. It certainly is an attractive proposition at under £800

I don't know Michael. Ken Harrison might be the best one to speak to about this.

I would expect the PT version to give less of a sweet-spot than the tilt-tuner though. It certainly is an attractive proposition at under £800

I had this info from Andy Lunt himself (and he should know ;)). Pressure tuned etalons are tuned slightly low, squeeze or tilt tuned slightly high.

A couple of things...

The size on the internal etalon, if positioned correctly, can affect the size of the "sweet spot" - generally the larger the internal etalon the better ( i.e. larger) the sweet spot.

Both tilt and pressure tuned versions can bring the critical Ha centre wavelength into tuning. The difference if any is the Doppler wings i.e. towards the red and blue sides of Ha.

I use an SM60 external etalon (on an ED80) which is set just above Ha (i.e into the red wing) - tilting brings in to the Ha and then beyond into the blue wing....

The bandwidth 0.7A v's 0.75A will never be noticed by the majority of users....it will show the surfaces details - filaments/ active areas as well a good views of the proms.

Our first delivery of Lunt LS50 solar telescopes is still scheduled for July/August. 

Sorry  :blush:

Steve 

Steve, I think the fact that the delivery of the first Lunt 50s being scheduled for July / August time is causing all this good weather - so thanks from everyone who isn't buying a Lunt 50 ;) - because we know as well as anyone that scopes, solar scopes especially, are packaged with clouds :rolleyes:.

Well it's gorgeous out,I'm trying too imagine my shiny new lunt 50mm outside gleaming in the sun :-)

It's not long till July now,emailed lunt usa and there definitely starting shipping in July :-) I'm off at the end of that month for 2 weeks,I bet it comes then :-)

IM COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS

Just seen a post on cloudynights where a guy has been speaking to a guy from lunt....

Apparently they have not started production of the 50s as of yet,they need a certain amount of orders before they do. That way there are no scopes hanging around on the shelf not sold.

Email from the German distributors.....

Hello Tony,

latest information from the manufacturer Lunt-USA is this:

“We have had a slight delay on some of our mechanics. We are going to start shipping them this month.”

So I guess the shipment will arrive here at end August.

Best regards

Wolfgang Quere

• 3 weeks later...

In a way I am glad as I just robbed a bit of my fund to help buy a white light refractor! Gives me a bit more time to sell / save. LOL there are holes now burned in all my pockets!

I'm in much the same boat :D   But I bought a 3D printer that works! :)

Archived