Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why do telescopes look so small in photographs?

I've always thought pictures of telescopes/ mounts appear as dainty little things on delicate tripods that look barely able to withstand their weight.

The more I do and see, including a visit to a decent observatory and b&m shop it seems that cameras knock 50 lb off everything astro related. My set up looks huge in my living room but as soon as I take a pic of it it's tiny.

Take a picture of a human and, hey presto, 50lb gained.

Who'd have thunk it ?

They do seem larger when you see them for real and up close. The scope below (my Istar refractor) does not look that large in the photo, I guess because there is little to offer any scale. In reality the top of the dew shield is nearly 9 feet off the ground and the mount head is 6 feet high. The whole rig weighs 130 lbs :shocked:

post-118-0-08603500-1392852466_thumb.jpg

They do seem larger when you see them for real and up close. The scope below (my Istar refractor) does not look that large in the photo, I guess because there is little to offer any scale. In reality the top of the dew shield is nearly 9 feet off the ground and the mount head is 6 feet high. The whole rig weighs 130 lbs :shocked:

9'?????????

Whaaaaaat????

It looks small in the pic. My point beautifully illustrated.

Many thanks,

Max :)

A new telescope look absolutely ginormous when it first arrives on your doorstep in boxes and you're wife opens the door to receive it - especially when you've gone to great lengths to explain that you havn't bought anything too big or too expensive!

Phil

- especially when you've gone to great lengths to explain that you havn't bought anything too big or too expensive!

Phil

Know what you mean all to well. I made the mistake of taking her to the local telescope store. First comment, were not having something that size in the house.

Know what you mean all to well. I made the mistake of taking her to the local telescope store. First comment, were not having something that size in the house.

There's no easy way round it - I had to resort to a combination of things to pacify the wife and get her to accept the scope. I had to decorate the spare room so that I had somewhere to keep it. I had to remind her that this was my 'reward' for working long hours abroad for a few months and I 'deserved something to show for it', and that after the next trip with work I would treat her to a new camera. That worked, but I'm not sure what I am going to do when I look for my next scope - any suggestions would be appreciated.

Phil

The business end of my 12" Newtonian is a good 11 feet up, I had to change to a seven step ladder to reach the camera safely. Don't even want think about using this beast for visual (refractors win here).

It's always useful to include a person (my Dad) for scale.

Dscf6816_1024_zps4c9afc45.jpg

My missus would be very grateful for any picture that knocks 50lb off lol. But technically - computer screens aren't large enough to display full size. Also camera chips are so small these days that it would be impossible to take a full size picture. You can prove this by standing your camera next to your telescope and the size difference becomes apparent. lol :grin: :grin:

There's no easy way round it - I had to resort to a combination of things to pacify the wife and get her to accept the scope. I had to decorate the spare room so that I had somewhere to keep it. I had to remind her that this was my 'reward' for working long hours abroad for a few months and I 'deserved something to show for it', and that after the next trip with work I would treat her to a new camera. That worked, but I'm not sure what I am going to do when I look for my next scope - any suggestions would be appreciated.

Phil

Sneak it in to the spare room and if it gets spotted claim you must have bought a pregnant one by mistake originally

Most of my kit looks small - until I pick it up ;)

Yes Eq1/2/3/5/6 and upwards are often the same size on manufactuers or retailers web sites. Their similarity helps to hide the size.

Then of course weight is the same in all photos.

My D6 mount comes in at 35Kg. It doesn't have to be permanently fixed. It does come with a field tripod that again weighs 35Kg.

If carrying the 20Kg of MN78, it isn't the best grab n go you could buy.

I found some EQ5 and EQ6 photos I took a while back for mount/tripod fixing comparison.

Nothing in them hints at the weight difference between the EQ5 & 6.

post-6286-0-04942400-1393058300_thumb.jp

post-6286-0-28091500-1393058323_thumb.jp

post-6286-0-62347800-1393058335_thumb.jp

Archived