Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How is your scope modded

bomberbaz

Ok so tonight i removed the secondary grub screws and replaced with knobs similar to bob's knobs. I felt rather chuffed with this as I managed it easily and re-collimated in about 5 minutes.

In addition to that I have fitted and collimated a 10/1 Crayford, replacing the single speed version. 

Not so much mods as additions to the focuser I have added a 40mm/2" extension tube which is self centering type and a harry glatterer paralizer for my 1.25" eyepieces

Next I have stuck an Orion dual finder bracket on to pimp it up a little; http://www.astroshop.eu/orion-dual-finder-mounting-bracket/p,43584 Actually this was a bit of a pain setting up. You have to ensure each element is aligned and doing this on a street lamp made hard work. I have done it now and just need a night when stars are out (sigh :rolleyes: ) to check these are spot on. All set up it looks mint though.  :cool:

Finally i have stuck onto the base of the scope a strong magnet as a permanent addition for weight to the scope. Weight is around 400 gram but as my EP's are all considerably heavier than stock ones, (by about 400gms I think) I think this is a fair assessment of balancing it up, I can slide it up and down to adjust if needed. I have a second when using the Axiom EP as this came in at 1360 gm  :shocked:

I also am considering making a trolley to pop it on when moving it around but not sure if I can be bothered and might just leave it.

So thats my modding, whats yours?

(This should be good  :grin: )

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a few basic modifications so far on my dob:

Telrad + dew shield on a 2" riser base.

SW 9x50 RACI finder

AstroZap light shroud

Lacerta 1:10 dual speed upgrade kit

Planned mods:

Dew shield

Flocking

Secondary mirror collimation thumb screws

Counter weight system (when using heavy 2" EP's)

Cooling fan on primary mirror

The most useful mod I've made is modifying a spare ring (thanks Astrobabe) to make it easier to rotate the tube. Also got RACI finder and Telrad. I've also fitted some flexible slo mo knobs as I was having trouble finding or reaching the controls in some positions. It's fully flocked and dew heaters all round (thanks Rustysplit). Can't think of anything else to do except perhaps the focusser.

It

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Well my 300 mm dob has been part flocked and baffled and I have removed the front tube end ring and replaced it with a strip of aluminium. I also put a plastic disc between the secondary holder and the collimation screws. My c11,  bought second hand, had already been fitted with a 2" optical back and telrad but it is now also flocked.The Meade 10" f 6.3 arrived when my 12" lx 200 was sold. It was in a pretty poor state so decided to strip it down and rebuild it with as many tweaks as I could think of so after repainting the tube it was flocked and a home made dew heater fitted, powered by an old modded 4 amp battery charger. The coatings on the corrector plate had partially degraded so these were removed. An electric focuser was fitted to the focuser knob and a rail and ring made to take a 62.5 mm f4 finder / video lens. Have also made an apodizing mask for it. One thing I noticed with the corrector plate was how well insulated it was from the outer tube, as the dew heater has to pass heat from the outside of the tube to the plate I thought it might help if there was a heat transfer link, from tube to plate, so put a small coiled wire between the plate edge and corrector cell to help. The wire also replaces the corrector plate shims. :eek:  My fullerscope has also been flocked and a 2" focuser fitted, the primary has standard coatings and the secondary has hi lux coatings from OO. Have also modified my 6" mak but won't go into detail as it may frighten the noobs. :smiley:                        

Not that much really Steve,

2" TS 1/12 Lambda Dielectric Diagonal

2" Baader Steeltrack  SCT Crayford dual speed focuser

Starsence accessory

Baader Sky Surfer V RDF

Heated Astrozap dew shield.

Oooh I can answer this now :-)

Orion short tube AKA ST80 'stumpy'

Removed the lenses and blackened the edges.

Completely painted the inside with a flat black water based paint (hard block of paint) including over all shiny bits and screw ends etc. and thin areas of manufacture paint.

Heritage 130p made a removable light shroud skirt.

Lazy Susan, 10:1 Lacerta mod, RDF, Degree circles (Had a mind fart... can't remember the actual name for them). I need some magnets as most of my EPs are 2" monsters. I also have a dolly that I occasionally use (more convenient than a sack truck).

skywatcher 10" flextube mods :

- flocking with car upholstery, painted secondary..

- painted board and box matte black (not really a mod..)

- flattened focuser tube

- (added Telrad) made a holder for my smartphone (on top of the Telrad)

- made my own dew shield and shroud, plus Telrad dewshield

- 4-12V adjustable fan

- LS bearing

- setting circles (made from something called forex board), digital inclinometer

- red lighting

- levelling board

- custom made collimation springs for secondary and primary

- self centering adapter

Just a few basic modifications so far on my dob:

Telrad + dew shield on a 2" riser base.

SW 9x50 RACI finder

AstroZap light shroud

Lacerta 1:10 dual speed upgrade kit

Planned mods:

Dew shield

Flocking

Secondary mirror collimation thumb screws

Counter weight system (when using heavy 2" EP's)

Cooling fan on primary mirror

Got the secondary mirror collimation thumb screws yesterday from Teleskop-Express. Actually got a set for both the dob and the 150PDS.

not much yet but only had it for xmas

raci sw finder

secondary colimation knobs

secondary heater

colimated my moonlite soon to do the same with a feather touch

heated finder scope both ends

heated eye piece 1.25" and 2"

fully adjustable heater controls for the 3 heaters all mounted in a small hub with primary fan output socket

phone holder made with light weight conduit , so i can see were my ota is pointing when using sky safari pro

full optical encoders on both axis controlled by a wifi box linked to phone

flocked both ends of scope couldnt do the middle as my arms are to short.

ep holder on dob base for 2 x 1,25" and 2x 2"

next up will be focuser support like laser jocks , but honestly thought of this before i seen his lol

and a adjustable brake system to adjust well brake tension

Archived