NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello :)

Dubhar

Hi.

I figured its about time I joined and said hi than browse the forum now and then.

I'm from the west of Scotland. I'm mainly a visual astronomer with an old(ish) skywatcher 200 using a manual motor controlled (no goto for me) HEQ-5 mount that's in need of a new hand controller (anyone happen to know where i might get one? or the controller chip they use?)

I have some other bits and pieces that i get some good use of with the telescope and mount.

I'd quite like to get into some photography and im saving up for some possible new equipment in the future for this. I'm thinking of replacing the mount and telescope at some point :) 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. For anyone starting to to think about imaging I always recommend Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" because it is such a good comprehensive guide that will provide you with the necessary overview to help you decide how far you want to go with it. The distinct areas of astrophotography can be broken down into three types. Wide field photography, in which you image a wide view of the night sky with your DSLR camera on a tripod whilst possibly including a terrestrial object to provide some reference for the shot. Solar system imaging which includes objects such as the sun, moon and planets which can be performed using a webcam from which the best 'frames' are selected to help construct a final composite image. Lastly, Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) imaging which involves as a minimum the use of an accurate motorised mount that is capable of tracking a very faint object for a sufficient period of time to be able to collect enough data to construct a final image. The last one is considered more technically demanding than the the first two and on that basis is probably the more expensive option because accurate consistent tracking doesn't come cheap. The book will explain in more detail what's involved and will certainly help you decide on your budget which is always the final arbiter in managing expectations. :smiley:  

Clear skies

James

Archived