NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is tonight first showing of new Sky at night?

tenbyfifty

I enjoyed watching the program tonight on the Humax recorder.

So much so that I decided to dust off the 3-inch reflector scope, and have a good look at Jupiter, the moon, and the Orion Nebula.

Not bad for someone recovering from minor surgery for the last 2-weeks.

So I think Sir Patrick Moore would be proud.

All he wanted to do was encourage the British public to enjoy his hobby, and share his passion.

Job done.

Sorry I can't be bothered to read through 4-pages of moaning, whinging, bitching, trolling, and bad mouthed comments.

But I really enjoyed the program, and the delivery.

No-one is forcing you to watch it.

I think you maybe surprised if you did read back through the 4 pages, nearly all the comments are positive.......:)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved Maggie, she was far better than I thought she would be. I thought she would be a bit too straight laced. She's a great pick for presenter.

She came across as a passionate eccentric, even to her hair lol, really in the vein of SPM which I did NOT expect. In fact she really came across to me as feeling 'honoured' to be presenting which seems an odd thing to say but that was the impression I got. I know what you mean, she was kind of playing the enthusiastic amateur, but I kind of felt it was her roots.

My god she needs to fix her hair though, bless her. You can get away with the odd outfit, I'm fond of kooky clothes myself, but the hair is a stretch too far. And I speak as one of the middle aged ladies who never goes near the hairdressers if she can help it ;)

I thought some of the presentation was a bit over choreographed eg not really sure why you need to cut to a  different shot

every 5 seconds . its endemic in modern tv. what's the theory behind it ? are we all going to fall asleep if they don't do it? 

Also why is Helen Czerski on the show as opposed to Lucie Green. everybody else is either a pro or amateur astronomer

whereas HC is an oceanographer ? one thing she has in common with Brian Cox are these new low tech (ie cheap) graphics

the bbc do now eg sitting on a park bench with a photo of Jupiter rather than showing a nice bit of cgi from their library.

wish i'd done media studies now - i'd have a better grasp of all the really important stuff !

I enjoyed watching the program tonight on the Humax recorder.

So much so that I decided to dust off the 3-inch reflector scope, and have a good look at Jupiter, the moon, and the Orion Nebula.

Not bad for someone recovering from minor surgery for the last 2-weeks.

So I think Sir Patrick Moore would be proud.

All he wanted to do was encourage the British public to enjoy his hobby, and share his passion.

Job done.

Sorry I can't be bothered to read through 4-pages of moaning, whinging, bitching, trolling, and bad mouthed comments.

Rather just slag off the people who have commented as a whole, if you read maybe one or two pages, you would find them overwhelmingly positive.

Ok folks, although Reeny's comment was most likely miss-judged as simply taking the time to read through the thread would have made it unnecessary to add that last paragraph, I would suggest that we do not allow this interesting and positive thread to slip downhill into a slanging match.

This is a warning shot across the bows OK?

I watched the show last night on iPlayer nice not having to wait for the next broadcast. It was a realy good first edition of the new format and hope it continues this way.

Maggie has always talked too fast for my liking in other programs, but her stile of presentation seems to have slowed down and is much better to listen to.

Hope it continues in this format much better than the last few months of last year.

Watched the show on Iplayer last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.
As others have said here Maggie's style of presenting constantly reminded me of SPM and that (in my opinion) is a good thing.
Would have loved a longer episode , 30 mins seems so short - but overall a big thumbs up from me.

Watched it on I Player and was not disappointed - especially as they have kept the theme tune (Sibelius). Format is close to before - good - if it's not broke....

Peter

Good point - I was very pleased to hear the theme too. I've enjoyed reading all the comments about Maggie too - I wasn't sure at first but she'd completely won me over by the end of the show.

Ok folks, although Reeny's comment was most likely miss-judged as simply taking the time to read through the thread would have made it unnecessary to add that last paragraph, I would suggest that we do not allow this interesting and positive thread to slip downhill into a slanging match.

This is a warning shot across the bows OK?

I did read all of the pages of the other thread which had mixed comments (good and bad) about the show, it's presenters, and the BBC for thinking about axing it etc.

I thought this one would have the same kind of negative comments.

My mistake.

I too was pleased to hear the theme tune in it's unadulterated glory :)

It takes me back to some of my earliest memories.

My fear was they'd go all Blue Peter on it and make it into some kind of techno-beat jingle. They did similar with the Dr Who theme. Last time time I heard it I could barely recognise it!

I did read all of the pages of the other thread which had mixed comments (good and bad) about the show, it's presenters, and the BBC for thinking about axing it etc.

My mistake.

No problems, we're all cool now and the thread is back on track.

this may seem slightly off track, but one thing i have missed since SPM passed is the program incorporating his scopes and using them for observing.

does anyone know what has become of his plethora of notes, and astronomical equipment?

IMHO I think it would be a nice touch if it were possible to revisit and use his scopes, just once in a while? 

Loved it. I watched it on the iplayer last night. I will admit that I was a little worried that the core structure and format of the programme might be messed about with, but I did like it and Maggie played a blinder on her debut.

My mistake.

"My mistake"?

You ignore the 74 previous posts in the thread, then you go on to insult your fellow forum members.  Finally, when the error of your short-sighted and ill-timed outburst is pointed out to you, you respond with, what, an apology?

Oh no.... my mistake.   :rolleyes:

this may seem slightly off track, but one thing i have missed since SPM passed is the program incorporating his scopes and using them for observing.

does anyone know what has become of his plethora of notes, and astronomical equipment?

IMHO I think it would be a nice touch if it were possible to revisit and use his scopes, just once in a while?

Did Brain May take control of all that ,?they should publish all his note books I would love to read them

Brain may was gonna give it to a museum but no one wanted it ,they was gonna turn his house the same but it go shelf shame

Pat

"My mistake"?

You ignore the 74 previous posts in the thread, then you go on to insult your fellow forum members.  Finally, when the error of your short-sighted and ill-timed outburst is pointed out to you, you respond with, what, an apology?

Oh no.... my mistake.   :rolleyes:

Sorry you are upset  - about me being upset - about people being upset about the program.

Does that help

I don't like personal insults - so I try to make sure I don't read them if they can be avoided.

I saw negative comments on page 1 / 2 / 3 / and 4 when I scanned through them quickly.

In my book thats 4-pages of moaning I can do without.

Sorry - but i just don't need it.

Maybe this is the wrong forum for me if that is a problem.

Next time I will suffer in silence.

Here's a smiley for you too to keep the conversation positive and amicable. :police:

Can we please remember to comment on the subject matter of the thread without being sidetracked by personal commentaries. 

I watched the programme on iPlayer and thought that the presentations and content went very smoothly indeed. If I had a suggestion to make, it would be that the BBC consider making the Sky At Night programme an hour long given that it is only on once a month. The extra time could help provide Peter Lawrence with more time for beginners such as suggesting more targets of interest, perhaps a special section detailing specific kit and maybe something for the imagers too. Overall a good show but always room for improvement.

James

I wholeheartedly agree about making the show 1 hour and about Pete Lawrence etc but I think that the BBC would still see this as a minority interest so I don't think that's ever going to happen. I must say that the S@N is way better than Stargazing Live - Dara likes the sound of his own voice over what others have to say.

Peter

An hour long version would be great wouldn't it but alas i think we'll all be lottery winners before that happens. But at least we have it back because it was very much in the balance at one point.

As to using Patrick's house and equipment, i think that would be down to the approval of Dr Brian May, as didn't he purchase the property after the passing of SPM?

It was good to see that the S@N had more of a tweak here and there rather a full on makeover which is what I think most people were worried about.  As for the presenters, I agree some of it was a bit quirky but I liked that and we should remember that these people are professional scientists presenting a TV show which I think is much more preferable than the alternative of having professional TV presenters trying to be scientists.

Anyone know when the Viewing Figures are released? I'd be really interested to see how this one (and then next couple for that matter) stack up against the previous series, plus the decent time slot...just a shame it was'nt on BBC2! Afterall the BBC only care about figures so obviously the higher the better for S@N and us.

Archived