NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is tonight first showing of new Sky at night?

tenbyfifty

Agree with the comments of making it into a 1 hour programme. It is only once a month after all and being demoted to BBC 4, you would have thought the Beeb could throw us a bone. There is more than enough scope (excuse the pun) to fill a 1 hour programme. What with observing, astro photography, beginners stuff along with all the existing things. This was the first one of the new format and going by the positive comments on here, lets hope they will filter back to the powers that be at the BBC and they might take a look at some point and maybe have a re-think. But for right now it was a success in my opinion. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know when the Viewing Figures are released? I'd be really interested to see how this one (and then next couple for that matter) stack up against the previous series, plus the decent time slot...just a shame it was'nt on BBC2! Afterall the BBC only care about figures so obviously the higher the better for S@N and us.

They aren't out yet.  For the previous week you'd need 430,000 viewers to get in to the top 10 for BBC 4; if it does that I'd say it was doing very well...

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-top-10

Out of interest is this on a vote basis ,how are the view in figures got ,do people have to bote ect if so am sure the good folk of Sgl could vote

How are the viewing votes caught ?

Pat

It's a sample of *only* just over 5,000 homes.

More details here.

Fantastic first program in its revised format.  For me it had the right mix of professionals informing us of the science behind the topics, and covered what us amateurs can do.  It wasn't too simplified nor too in depth.  The use of Chris and Maggie as "anchors" to introduce topics before the other presenters went into detail was good (almost like a news program).  It was nicely focused at and on the amateur sector, and whilst being a new format still retained the same "feel" that S@N had in SPM's heyday.  The only part that started to become boring was the use of the silhouetted observers with the S@N logo at the end of nearly each segment.

Nice to see Chris has become a member of SGL and commented in this thread.  I'm not sure if the comments on this forum about the way the program was going shortly after Patrick passed away had any influence on the new content or format, but it does seem that a lot of the suggestions and comments made have been addressed.  As for Maggie, well I too am not a big fan, but she does give the show a lot of energy, and a fresh face is what the show needed.  I don't think anyone can step into Partick's shoes, and I don't feel she is trying too, but she did a fine job as co-host with Chris. 

Keep it up guys

I thought Maggie was great. There's just a hint of SPM in the way she speaks. It was nice.

But more importantly........I'm in love with Helen Czerski. She's a babe ! Schwiiiing.

Isn't google wonderful

attachment.php?attachmentid=46360&d=1377

That's one heavenly body that could have the attention of my 8" (telescope) :):D

Just a note to say I hope you enjoy tonight's program - we're set for the foreseeable future on the 2nd Sunday of the month, at 10pm on BBC4 (plus various repeats).

I'll ask about why the series link doesn't work, but as the only (?) monthly show on national TV I suspect it's just that they didn't allow that option.

You'll (almost always) have Maggie, myself and Pete with appearances from others including Lucie, Chris North, Paul Abel and various others scattered throughout the series - in this case Helen Czerski. Lucie's back next month, for example.

Chris

Good to hear the other guys make an appearance as well. 

I watched the show last night, and enjoyed it. Some comments:

* Maggie & Chris did well as a pairing, should be good together going forward and Maggie's delivery was better than what I'd seen her in previously

* No need for the 3-4 second 'Sky at Night' title between each segment

* Program could be extended to 45mins/1 hour

* Pleasant mix of content

* I'd very probably watch any show with Helen Czerski in it

One of my colleagues at work (who knows I'm into astronomy) came up unprompted today and said that she'd watched S@N last night, thoroughly enjoyed it and found it really interesting to learn about Jupiter... so job done I say!

Saw it too, Maggie might take a bit of getting used to, but the enthusiasm definitely shows. Slightly eccentric dress sense, but thats not a bad thing, and certainly not out of place in the world of astronomy :)

It's still early days, and so needs time to mature.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately it looks like S@N didn't make it in to the top 10 audience viewing figures for BBC4 - http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-top-10 - though it would be really interesting to know how it fared for its slot...

Let's hope the powers that be just let it settle in it's new format and just maybe it'll develop a new following.

I'm thinking that with Maggie's eccentricity and Chris playing the straight man we may well have a world class double act! :D :D

Without a doubt though, there is enough material and probably enough space in the schedules to make an hour of it!

Archived