Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is tonight first showing of new Sky at night?

tenbyfifty

Lucky you. The cloud has been patchy here all night until I get the kids to bed and about to head out with the scope, I checked the skies and overcast!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was indeed patchy, forced to come back in due to clouds, seeing wasn't great in between either but did get some nice lunar observing - difficult to do anything else really.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weill having just watched the S@N I can safely say I enjoyed it, there seemed to be a healthy push for showing the importance of amateur astronomy as well as showing more of the science involved. Pete Lawrence tips on observing were very good. Overall a very good start to the new feel. 

I'm very new to astronomy and really found tonight's first episode of the new format thoroughly enjoyable for 30 minutes of great topics. I'm just about to mod a lifecam and start taking my first steps into planetary imaging. They balanced the science and amateur aspects well. I'm looking forward to the next episode. I learn so much reading these forums. Maybe the programme should mention forums like this one to encourage flyby viewers into taking their first steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His it me or was the new woman's delivery weird her voice I mean it was like she was forceing it out of her self like ddd,ddddd.dddd.dd.ddddsent me mad listening but overall not 3 bad

Pat

Yes, the worst bit of the show for me too - I thought Helen Czerski delivered well though and almost Brain Coxesque (if that's a phrase).

Echo other's comments on the use of 'amateurs' etc and looking forward to the next one.

I really enjoyed it.  Great to see it back on our screens.  I personally think that Maggie is great, and she does come across as being really enthusiastic.  

As far as I know, series link doesn't work for Sky as its a monthly programme.  They only schedule 2 weeks worth of programming, so even on the rare occasions I see the green series link icon, and select it, the next programme doesn't appear in my planner.

Other free view and satellite providers may have a different set up, which might be why those with Tivo can do it.  

The good thing is that its available on iPlayer now.  I used to get irritated at having to wait until the longer repeat had aired to watch it, since I hardly ever remember to check its in my planner each month.  It's available until the 21st February too - wasn't it only available on iPlayer for 7 days before? 

I read somewhere that Maggie has struggled with dyslexia all her life. Despite this she came across as very clear and to the point in the show, and made a great job of the presentations and interviews (even if it did seem odd in style).

She had a lot to live up to following on from the legend of Sir P and the huge expectations from the astronomy community. Imho, she delivered a great start for the "new style", "refreshed format" of the show, and I wish her every success and hope it continues and develops in the same way as this evenings program - well done Maggie. :)

I read somewhere that Maggie has struggled with dyslexia all her life. Despite this she came across as very clear and to the point in the show, and made a great job of the presentations and interviews (even if it did seem odd in style).

She had a lot to live up to following on from the legend of Sir P and the huge expectations from the astronomy community. Imho, she delivered a great start for the "new style", "refreshed format" of the show, and I wish her every success and hope it continues and develops in the same way as this evenings program - well done Maggie. :)

Agree with brantuk regarding Maggie, brings some of the eccentricities of Sir P to the show in the nicest of ways.

Archived