Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new to sgl

saturnalia2

Hi all--- i normally just jump right into a forum and skip the introduction, but today is do it differently day. l live just outside of Boston Ma in the US and have been a science geek for most of my life, even if i lack the necessary mathematical acumen to have made any kind of career out of it. I'm a pastry chef by expericence, education, training and temperament. i work for the world's largest natural and organic foods retailer.

i've always been interested in the night sky and was lucky to have a mother who was very interested in the natural world and who taught us the basic constellations at a very early age, something which stayed with me. in the early 90's i saw a show on john dobson on public tv and before too long i had made a 4" dobsonian with bought components and a 6" dob with a handmade by me mirror. i saw the holes in Jupiter's atmosphere made by shoemaker levy and that was pretty much what i had come for, so i sold one telescope and stored the other. in a damp place where everything rusted so i eventually rebuilt it. and then i got the bug and have accumulated mass quantities of equipment.

i tried to get one of everything...8" truss dob, bought mirror, self made scope, a c8, a long and a short refractor, an eon 80 and celestron 102gt, an etx 90, a levy comet hunter and an asahi pentax oldy but goody 60mm. i've got a philips sn whatever that number is, a meade dsi II pro and a canon dslr and all the software to use them all. it all sits, in its turn, on an atlas.

I have no class of targets that i favor over another..i'll look at anything, and i also spend lots of time reading about space, cosmology, and the people past and present who work in those fields.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the lounge!

A telescope maker - a dieing breed for sure. Sounds like you have enough equipment to start a store :grin:

What part of the suburbs are you in? I'm about 18 miles south of Boston.

Archived