Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New 10" Dob, she has arrived.....

Orange Haze

Just took delivery of my new scope, a Skyliner 250px. Thank you FLO for brilliant service again, in particular Steve.

As I was keen to put the beast together before my wife got home, I proved to myself that it can be fully assembled in less than one hour, phew. Her reaction to its new home in the corner of the dining room was a treat but I'm not sure how long I am going to get away with it for.

So after months of doing the typical amateur astronomer thing of researching, asking loads of seemingly silly questions on SGL, changing my mind a dozen times and ending up with something that was always high in the short list anyway, she has arrived. Now all I need is yet more advice on things like Lazy Susan's and how to fix a Rigel quickfinder and filters and who knows what else.

Right now I am just excited to have it and can't wait to get started. Amazing how a new scope can make you feel a bit like a kid at Christmas. :)

Now where is that crystal clear sky I ordered with it..........post-22555-0-53388900-1389982478_thumb.j

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoy it mate, great scope. Have a look at setting circles, very helpful to find things. I have the 8" and its banished to the garage. Looks like its already got a "dob nob" so one less mod to do. Telrad is handy and easy to fit. Clear skies!!!!

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations on your new scope! Its a great size for starting out since wanting a larger one later is usually in store but that size will serve you very well.

The clear skies you ordered with it is on back order :grin:

While you wait for some clear night sky, try setting up the finder scope using a distant object several hundred feet away or further. This is always easier during the day and will be ready for targeting that first object.  Let us know how your "first light" session went, whether successful or not.

Wishing you many clear skies and years of enjoyment with your nice scope :cool:

Thanks All. I suppose I am lucky that my wife is semi understanding .... For now.

Will try to set up the finder scope tomorrow, although the forecast may be too rough for even that.

Been looking at it rubbing my chin wondering how I am going to fix my Rigel quickfinder on it, be lost without that.

Will post a quick first light report when I eventually get out with it. :)

I just put mine to the right of the finder scope, but I have the flextube version so where I  can put it is more restricted.  Still ,even with the solid tube I think I would put there anyway.  Depends a bit on your height but I have no issue bending around a little to see through it, I find it very comfortable there :smiley:

We are gluttons for punishment buying scopes in the winter. We must enjoy the sense of frustration deep down :). So many of us seem to do it. My fave time of year to observe is spring and autumn. Not too cold, but still plenty of nighttime to play with.

Archived