NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stargazing Live 2014 (the Brian Cox effect)

FLO

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... recently I have seen a lot of newbie folks turn up at my local Astro Soc with decidely *dubious* scopes 

There lies the problem! I mustn't get on my soapbox and bore you with what I think is wrong with this industry but I am really bothered by the way short-sighted retailers behave every winter. Particularly most photo shops! They stock up on high margin rickety under-performing rubbish, sell them as fast as they can through December, then clear the remainder in their January sale. And that's it. A golden opportunity to bring new blood into the hobby wasted! People want to see weather bands on Jupiter and rings around Saturn. Instead they get fuzzy blobs bouncing around in the eyepiece so they give up disillusioned. Madness  :mad:

Steve 

Not so fast :wink:

Seriously, they did at least have Mark Thompson demonstrating what can be achieved with a solar telescope and affordable solar filters. They even sent him to a high street so passers-by could appreciate the views.

There are still two episodes to go… 

I was interested in the glasses he demonstrated and wondered where you can get them from?

I was interested in the glasses he demonstrated and wondered where you can get them from?

Currently I think Harrison Telescopes are the only UK store listing the glasses. We have ordered 100 this morning but Baader's distributer hasn't got any so it might be 10-15 days before they arrive. Sorry :smiley:

We do however have Baader AstroSolar Film in stock (that's the filter material used in the glasses) for people who want to make their own solar filters for binoculars and telescopes. 

We also have solar filters for telescopes like the one shown in Stargazing Live. 

baader_solar_film.jpg

We have ordered 100 this morning but Baader's distributer hasn't got any so it might be 10-15 days before they arrive. Sorry :smiley:

The Solar glasses shown on Stargazing Live are now listed at our website. 

They cost only £3 so as a thank-you for participating in this thread we'll send a pair of solar glasses free of charge to everyone who has posted, up to this point. Please PM me your name and address :smiley:

The only thing is it'll be 10-15 days (perhaps longer if our competitors all order the same) before they will be in stock. Hope that's okay. 

Baader-AstroSolar-solar-eclipse-observin

I agreee with Steve - I've seen some astro rubbish in the shops.  A well known superstore won't say which but I bet they were all selling similar items.  Looked pretty with amazing photos on the box but they simply could not be any good at those sort of prices.

I got a pair off Gary Palmer a while back. same film as the baader film, only tinted (maybe the baader glasses are too, I don't know). I've made a solar filter with the baader film for my 'scope but tend to use the glasses more. very quick and surprising how much you can see.

Hi Steve (FLO), I noticed the link you posted for the solar film is NOT for visual work but for photography use only..... Would it not be better to post a link for visual use film?

Would hate to think someone ordered it thinking it would be OK for visual work and then cause themselves some damage....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

"Dara O'briain does an excellent job of holding it all together and is entertaining. The show would not be as good without him"

I was thinking exactly the same myself whilst watching the program last night. Totally agree. :)

Just my opinion :smiley:

Indeed!  :grin:

Best of luck FLO!

Glad the solar glasses are in stock, I was trying to imagine wrapping some solar film round my head Blue Peter style! Now where's the stick back plastic? On second thoughts, I'd like to stay attached to my eyebrows even if they're looking more like Patrick Moore's each day, God bless him!

Cheers

Ps. Thanks for the Xmas choc!

Indeed!  :grin:

Best of luck FLO!

Glad the solar glasses are in stock, I was trying to imagine wrapping some solar film round my head Blue Peter style! Now where's the stick back plastic? On second thoughts, I'd like to stay attached to my eyebrows even if they're looking more like Patrick Moore's each day, God bless him!

Cheers

Ps. Thanks for the Xmas choc!

They are out of stock, will be in stock later on ;)

The only thing is it'll be 10-15 days (perhaps longer if our competitors all order the same) before they will be in stock. Hope that's okay. 

They cost only £3 so as a thank-you for participating in this thread we'll send a pair of solar glasses free of charge to everyone who has posted, up to this point. Please PM me your name and address :smiley:

Baader-AstroSolar-solar-eclipse-observin

You guys really are the best.

There lies the problem! I mustn't get on my soapbox and bore you with what I think is wrong with this industry but I am really bothered by the way short-sighted retailers behave every winter. Particularly most photo shops! They stock up on high margin rickety under-performing rubbish, sell them as fast as they can through December, then clear the remainder in their January sale. And that's it. A golden opportunity to bring new blood into the hobby wasted! People want to see weather bands on Jupiter and rings around Saturn. Instead they get fuzzy blobs bouncing around in the eyepiece so they give up disillusioned. Madness  :mad:

Steve 

Totally agree, but it is understandable.  They get in, take people's money and they're off.  They have no interest in developing a long-term interest in the hobby as they are not selling accessories or upgrades, so it's not madness from their point of view.  Hopefully most people will drop in on places like SGL before buying a scope and won't get ripped off.

Who gets free glasses? :)

Could then be used to put over binos to view the sun or is that a big no no?!

I really wouldn't do that.

You'd need to ensure that there is filter film covering the entirety of both objective lenses and was secure with no chance of falling off.  Better to make proper filter cells using Baader film and attaching them properly and securely.

I really wouldn't do that.

You'd need to ensure that there is filter film covering the entirety of both objective lenses and was secure with no chance of falling off. Better to make proper filter cells using Baader film and attaching them properly and securely.

yea I thought so! Lol.

Some more focus in tonights episode on solar and aurora must get myself a solar scope no more cold nights freezing my fingers off.

Come to the light side....its warmer here  :evil:   and so much easier than faffing about in the dark! 

But seriously, it really is great fun solar viewing and imaging.  The sun changes constantly, and even in a 10 minute look between clouds, you can get some real enjoyment.  My solar stuff has had loads more use than the night time stuff because of this.

Helen

Come to the light side....its warmer here  :evil:   and so much easier than faffing about in the dark! 

But seriously, it really is great fun solar viewing and imaging.  The sun changes constantly, and even in a 10 minute look between clouds, you can get some real enjoyment.  My solar stuff has had loads more use than the night time stuff because of this.

Helen

I am so tempted i will def get into the white light stuff with my existing kit but i do like the idea of HA imaging too.

Helen

But don't you finish up looking like a panda :smiley:

Archived