NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stargazing Live 2014 (the Brian Cox effect)

FLO

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I found the show to be OK, but did very little for our hobby. The one good thing about the show was Mark Thompsons contributions, just like his book " A down to earth guide to the cosmos " it was plain and simple to understand.

I think it is clear now they are not particularly interested in encouraging viewers to go outside and stargaze. The total increase in traffic from episode 1 & 2 is 15%. The same two episodes in 2012 achieved 73%. 

The increase in traffic from episodes 1, 2 & 3 is 24% (2012 achieved 82%). 

A great show last night i did think Brian pulled out all the stops at the end to encourage people to get into Astronomy maybe the effect will be a longer term thing and not just the normal visual stuff either.

Alan

Wow, that's a massive difference... forgive my poor (very) memory but was programming that different or do you think there were other influences for such a big drop off.

A great show last night i did think Brian pulled out all the stops at the end to encourage people to get into Astronomy maybe the effect will be a longer term thing and not just the normal visual stuff either.

Alan

Agreed, Brian did his best and a 24% increase in traffic is certainly better than last year :).

So I must admit that I too have had my interest in an Ha solar scope piqued.  It's been in the back of my mind for a while.

Any plans to supply Corandos Steve?  I know you don't normally carry Meade stuff, but I think I remember that you did used to stock the PST?

So I must admit that I too have had my interest in an Ha solar scope piqued.  It's been in the back of my mind for a while.

Any plans to supply Corandos Steve?  I know you don't normally carry Meade stuff, but I think I remember that you did used to stock the PST?

We stopped stocking Coronado over a year ago, I think the last PST was sold in a clearance sale back in Jan 2013.

It is probably best I don't post the reasons why because if the product and situation improves we will want to reconsider stocking them. 

Steve 

HTH :)

I must admit from Stargazing Live I'm becoming much more interested in solar - it's a bit expensive for me at the moment though!

Wow, that's a massive difference... forgive my poor (very) memory but was programming that different or do you think there were other influences for such a big drop off.

I guess the weather will have had some affect, but it wasn't really that bad while the shows were being aired. And we must consider our own growth over the last two years, I have done my best to factor that in (or out) so we can compare like-for-like but it can be difficult to determine the cause of traffic. It doesn't 'feel' like there has been a Stargazing Live. It feels like business as usual. 

Back in 2012 Mark Thompson had more air time (at least that's how I remember it) to show and explain how easy it is to use telescopes under the stars. More Stargazing, less cosmology :smiley:

Steve 

We won't be stocking Coronado but we are in discussion with a brand of premium Ha scopes and will probably put them into stock around Spring-time. Possibly sooner if my own plans for solar imaging take off :grin: 

I also haven't noticed a surge of new members here at SGL. In 2012 there was a tidal wave of new members.

It was an entertaining series, as always, but they need to show more of Mark Thompson if they want to encourage actual astronomy. 

Just my opinion :smiley: 

I also haven't noticed a surge of new members here at SGL. In 2012 there was a tidal wave of new members.

It was an entertaining series, as always, but they need to show more of Mark Thompson if they want to encourage actual astronomy. 

Just my opinion :smiley:

Indeed, it's not exactly comparing apples with apples though as you have mentioned (SGL has grown considerably since 2012, as has the customer base of FLO). With the amount of content they go through (and have to cut out), I can realistically see two one hour programmes' worth of material. The extra 30 minutes could easily go to Mark Thompson :D.

I've done a bit of white light solar imaging - I might have another crack at it.  I have a solar filter for my Evostar 80ED - two in fact.  I might make one for the MN190 for a closer look :D  I have always thought that sometime I would like to try Ha solar imaging.  No need for guiding with solar imaging :)

So maybe when I have accumulated more funds and if FLO start selling Ha solar scopes again... who knows...  :D

Steve I have been using a Coronado PST for 9 years and I think I might treat myself to a new Ha scope this year. If you decide to stock an alternative brand I believe that the Lunt scopes and equipment look good and have good reviews. For people starting out on the Ha experience the Lunt LS35 looks a great scope. Its comes in a basic setup with a B400 blocking filter and the deluxe version has the larger B600 blocking filter for those that might want to do some imaging.

I will be interested in what you decide.

Steve I have been using a Coronado PST for 9 years and I think I might treat myself to a new Ha scope this year. If you decide to stock an alternative brand I believe that the Lunt scopes and equipment look good and have good reviews. For people starting out on the Ha experience the Lunt LS35 looks a great scope. Its comes in a basic setup with a B400 blocking filter and the deluxe version has the larger B600 blocking filter for those that might want to do some imaging.

I will be interested in what you decide.

I shall be very interested to see what Steve comes up with

The Lunt LS35 has a rather short focal length for imaging.  eg. with the Atik 460EX mono CCD camera the sun will be only around a third of the image width and half the height.  Those with the 490EX will be better off with the smaller pixels.  1000mm would be the desired FL where the sun will almost fill the frame.  I'm going to try white light imaging with my MN190 in the meantime.

I would perhaps be more tempted by separate "Energy Rejection Filter" (ERF) plus "H-Alpha Filter Unit" (HAU). Now that solar scopes are hitting the £800 mark, maybe something that makes use of my existing scopes - Their Common (remote) electronic focusing systems etc. etc. :)

http://www.thousandoaksoptical.com/halpha.html

Often wonder if anyone has ever tried these... ;)

I would perhaps be more tempted by separate "Energy Rejection Filter" (ERF) plus "H-Alpha Filter Unit" (HAU). Now that solar scopes are hitting the £800 mark, maybe something that makes use of my existing scopes - Their Common (remote) electronic focusing systems etc. etc. :)

http://www.thousandoaksoptical.com/halpha.html

Often wonder if anyone has ever tried these... ;)

It's an interesting alternative Chris but that set-up is still around $800 and is only offering blocking to 0.9 Angstroms, with it seems a dramatic stop down of the objective too...  Not sure what the advantage would be over a PST.

I like the sound of the Lunt pressure tuning mechanism and would be very interested to hear how that performs against the usual tilt-tuning.

don't think stopping down is anything to worry about - there's plenty of light available - too much in fact so stopping down helps by not collecting so much energy.  OTOH too much stopping down will reduce resolution.  I've read that an aperture of 40-60mm is around optimum I seem to recall.

don't think stopping down is anything to worry about - there's plenty of light available - too much in fact so stopping down helps by not collecting so much energy.  OTOH too much stopping down will reduce resolution.  I've read that an aperture of 40-60mm is around optimum I seem to recall.

Yes it's not the light gathering power I'm worried about Gina but the Rayleigh criteria... but I haven't done the maths.  Then it comes down to the field of view and the imaging circle etc...

If you're thinking of solar imaging then a fast frame rate camera is the way to go rather than a normal ccd. You need to catch those moments of crisp seeing and you need as large number of frames to get enough to control the noise levels in processing.

Helen

Archived