Nottingham / Derby newbie.

zillah

Hello all, about 6 months ago I made the fateful mistake of telling a friend that I enjoyed looking at the stars and before I knew it, she was handing me astronomy magazines and we links.

Mum treated me to a Jessops 800-80 scope, just something cheap and cheerful to see how I got on. Apart from finding out how expensive aspects of the hobby can be, it's nice to find lots of people looking that can always find a better, cheaper way!

Sleep is for the weak, bring on some clear night skies!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. In recent years a lot of telescopes have become affordable compared to how much they used to cost. Astrophotography is an area of astronomy that has proved very attractive to both beginner and experienced astronomer alike and there is plenty of exotic equipment out there to tempt those who are in need of lightening a heavy wallet! :grin:  The critical thing when you come to buy a larger scope, is to buy wisely from the start which helps avoid unnecessary expense through constant upgrading or purchasing kit that holds a poor resale value. Of course we shouldn't forget that a good pair of binoculars can also be a great start, not only in providing some great wide views of the cosmos but is also a piece of kit that you will always use no matter what scope you eventually own in the longer term. In short, Dobsonians reflectors offer the best value for your money, simple to use and to set up and they are also very popular among many members here. There are plenty of people here who are willing to help advise you with any difficulty that you might have so do not hesitate to ask for help when the need arises.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James 

Welcome from me too! Had the odd clear night here in Notts; had some vaguely decent seeing the other night too.

Hopefully the clearer, colder skies are on their way!!!

Cheers

Chris

Hi Zillah welcome to the lounge,

this wonderful hobby can be as cheap or as expensive

as you want it to be, it's the enjoyment you get out of it

that counts. Enjoy!

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all! Although I've as yet, not had many nights with clear sky's, this hasn't stopped several purchases from the nice people at FLO for small bits, I'm managing to resist the temptation to look at their scopes at the moment but not sure how much willpower I have left...

Hi,

Sounds like the bug had well and truly bitten!

Check out the East Midlands Statgazers in the community section for some local info on groups and meets which could be of interest.

Take it easy

Darren

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Archived