Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Neglected C8N in North Devon

Johnny4365

Hi fellow stargazers.

I have been interested in astronomy and space for as long as I can remember, thats back to the later Apollo missions.

Finally got a telescope for my 40th, a Celestron C8N (not goto).

Had some great times using this scope in the early days, but I am ashamed to say it has been neglected for the last few years.

I am now determined to use this scope to its full potential and try and get some of the Grandchildren interested in astronomy along the way.

I have found this site very useful and informative so decided to sign up.

My plans include:

Fix the sticky focuser.

Collimate the scope properly. (not been done since I've had it). :embarassed:

Make a level base for the scope in the garden for quicker setting up.

Start doing some form of astrophotography.

Above all else get the thing out into the garden, below the wonderfully dark North Devon skies, and USE IT.

Welcome to SGL - Sounds like involving the grandchildren will be a great motivator, especially if they take to it. They'll be badgering 'poor grandad' constantly. That will get you out more, just to keep them quiet :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Welcome  - I'm just down the link road in South Devon - what a great and mostly dark skied county we live in!

I'm new to this too, and have managed a couple of observations since Christmas with some success too

Enjoy your scope and even more enjoy the time showing your Grandchildren the wonders of the skies

Stuart

Thanks loungers.

Astralstroll, it has been cloudy in these parts lately. Did get a quick look at Jupiter and the moon about a week ago.

Michael. I have many plans for many things, getting them to fruition is the problem !

James M, clear skies to you too.

James F. I'm just west of Exmoor, 800 ft up and in a small hamlet so pretty dark here. I spent a weekend in Wivel years ago. Very nice.

Richard, Thank you, Last time I was down your way was for the 1999 eclipse. But the less said about that the better.

Ron, Thanks and yes I suppose it is a bit of a New Years resolution.

Pete, The scope will be out, I promise.

Sara, I really hope they do get interested, just need to entice them away from the computer games.

Stuart, A wonderful county it is in many ways. Great that you have had some successful observations already. Long may it last.

Roger, Thank you.

Hi Johnny,

Welcome aboard - glad to hear that your getting the scope out - only hope the weather will oblige (for all of us). 

Good luck with the fix up and collimation, but plenty of advice and guidance here if you need it.

Jake

Welcome to SGL. I grew up in North Devon outside a small village called Berrynarbor, in a place named Sterridge Valley. Weeper ether only house there and no street lights. I miss that house-wonderful memories. Until recently my folks still lived in Devon (although east Devon-Tiverton) and my dad and I had a few good sessions on exmoor with our scopes. They now live in cheltenham though so no more exmoor observing sessions. Such beautiful skies around that part of the country. Good luck with your new ventures :)

Dana. Thank you.

John. Cheers.

Jake. I will be needing lots of help and advice.

Maystar. The scope definitely needed dusting off.

Bambuko. Thanks and its still raining here :sad:

JamesF. I think most of the Atlantic Ocean is in my garden.

catman. I live in Berrydown, just a stones throw from Sterridge Valley. Lived here for about 12 years, from Surrey originally. Beautiful skies and scenery down here for sure.

Charon. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived