I'm new to these parts!

Rhanebeaux

I am just stopping in to say hello! I do not even have my telescope yet, but am excited to get started! I am glad to have a resource to go to find answers. I am pro at google searching, but sometimes just asking someone is more beneficial! It also appears that this is mainly an eastern bunch of stargazers...I am in America, but when I searched for forums this one was top of the list so here I am!  My 5 year old son saw a telescope at the store the other day and said he wanted to use his Christmas money to buy it. I figured he just wanted it because it looked neat and was right in front of him, but he has talked about it non-stop for the nest two weeks, so my husband and I did some research and ordered a telescope for our family. I am elated as I have always wanted one, but it seems even more fitting that we are going to give this a try as a family and encourage our son's interest in science. Any recommendations on beginner books? I have ordered  a Schmidt-Cassegrain type telescope, so any books on using those would help too. There are so many I do not know where to start! :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rhanebeaux, first of all welcome to sgl, you could not have started your family's journey in a better place. The book that is always highly recommend here is turn left at Orion which is an excellent starting point though it may be turn right, its been a while since I've had it open.l don't have a SG telescope so can't offer any advice but there will be help on the way very shortly for sure.welcome on board and a merry Christmas to you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi Rhanebeaux and welcome to SGL. I will SteveTynant's recommendation for Turn Left At Orion - it provides a really easy to follow guide to the night sky, with instructions on how to find the most interesting objects and diagrams showing what you can expect to see through your scope. I hope and your family enjoy your new scope!

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

if you search Schmidt-Cassegrain books on Amazon there are some

really good books on that type of scope, you will get lot's of help

here in S G L, just post your question in the relevant forum.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hi and welcome to the forum. In addition to the recommendations for Turn Left at Orion, I would suggest that you might want to consider downloading some free planetarium software called Stellarium. It's easy to use and has a lot of useful features such as being able to calibrate it to the same longitude and latitude as your own viewing location (e.g back yard) so as to create the exact same virtual sky thus making it easier to identify and find objects. It also has an advance date/time feature which will allow you to progress the virtual night sky to any given moment in the future to enable you to check what will be available to view in the sky at that time (very useful when the little ones need to go to bed early during the week!) There are plenty of other useful features that are too numerous to mention here but will certainly keep you busy should the clouds come in. This program is very popular with many on the forum so if you get stuck there will always be someone here to help you with it. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

p.s If you want to know what the above looks like inside, take a look here for as an example.

Archived