Hello

TDEKT

Hello all..

Just signed up and I am an absolute beginner.  Always been really interested in starting up with astronomy and this xmas I got the kids ( 4years & 2x 7year olds) a first telescope (http://www.smythstoys.com/microscopes-telescopes-621sc/375x-power-50mm-astronomical-telescope-106185itm.aspx)

I realise this is a cheap of the cheap scope but funds are tight and couldn't justify the cost of a decent beginners model :-( ..  Not this year anyway though all going well it will be on Santa's list for next year..

Any tips on getting the most out of this scope on a budget?  It has a selection of eye lenses and I don't know what each does or the ones I should be using?

So far I have managed to get Jupiter lined up on it and been able to see 3 of it's moons which was awsome :0) even though the image was shakey and not sharp.  Next chance we get I hope to be able to get them looking at the moon. 

Thanks and any tips would be very much appreciated.

Tom

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Tom - The best telescope is the one that you will use :grin:  There's lots of guides and tutorials on the forum about how to get the best out of your scope. Can't help on visual I'm afraid I've never looked through my last two scopes!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Tom, any scope is better than no scope :-) as for tips... If the legs are extendable, don't extend them... They will get less stable. Maybe hang something from the underside of the tripod to make it a bit less prone to wobble. Take time to get accustomed to the dark, your pupils open up and a chemical builds up helping your dark vision... The longer you stay in the dark, the better you will see. Also spend as long as possible at the eyepiece as the atmosphere is constantly changing in and out of poor visibility... Every so often Jupiter will look better for a second or two.

wrap up warm and get something to sit on.

do you have an iPhone / andriod/ tablet etc.?

Plenty of apps available free to show the locations of objects.

all the best

Welcome to SGL, yes this is the budget end of telescopes, however use the eyepiece with the biggest number, ie x20 or x25. Using anything lower x10 for example will give poor views. Forget that the ad says 375 power, this is totally unrealistic as the light gathering of a 50mm lens will be very limited and the mount will be very wobbly. To get the magnification power divide the eyepiece (x25) by the focal length, say 500mm (I'm not sure what the FL of this scope is) this will give a power of 20x magnification. Use on the moon, Jupiter, possible Saturn and maybe bright deep sky objects such as M42 (Orion Nebula). The next step would be to go for a reasonable pair of 10x50 binoculars.

Good viewing

Dave

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

the Moon is probably the best target for your children,

the views will look quite good, mainly because the

Moon is very bright, the eyepieces won't be great, but 

will show the Moon quite well, as long as they enjoy it

that's what counts.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hi Tom and welcome to SGL - Getting the kids interested so young is a great thing to do and don't worry that the scope is a budget model - you will have plenty of fun and remember the hobby is about learning as well as exploring and you have come to exactly the right place to start.

Archived