NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greetings from the West Country

Shelster1973

Before I started plundering the site for advice and infomration, thought I would say hello to all here.

Totally new to astronomy so it is all going to be a big learning experience...one which I am very much looking forward too.

Have started off with an Orion 8" f3.9 astrograph which is mounted on a Celestron Advanced VX mount.  The main aim is to get my Nikon D7100 clagged onto the tube and start taking some photographs of what is out there, but have a fair way to go before then.  My main proble,m seems to be balancing the tube so that it actually aligns and then tracks....it seems to dropping crazily at the moment.  Nothing that a trawl through the threads here and some judicious YouTube viewing can't sort out.

Anyway, hello...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi from sunny Cheshire, I am totally new to this and I am looking to purchase my first telescope. I was looking at the Celestron 114 or 130 models, can you give me any feedback on these or any ones you think would suit.  Cheers in anticipation.

Hi from sunny Cheshire, I am totally new to this and I am looking to purchase my first telescope. I was looking at the Celestron 114 or 130 models, can you give me any feedback on these or any ones you think would suit.  Cheers in anticipation.

Hello and welcome to SGL. Out of the two I would get the Skywatcher version of the 130. They share the same mirrors but the Skywatcher 130 has a better finderscope and less plastic in its construction.

PS it might be worthwhile starting your own thread rather than post a question in someone else's

Hi all

Many thanks for the very warm welcome, makes me feel like I am in teh right placve to ask my questions....

Have just been doing some looking on the web and thsi may be a complete noob / numpty / idiot moment here... but am going to open myself up for the ridicule, it may help someone else out.

Have been doing the balancing as per teh guides I have seen in the 3 axis but..... when I come to power up teh scope and do the align, should the clutches be engaged or disengaged (ie the ones you disengagfe to carry out the balancing)?  Part of me, now that I am thinking about it, says these should be engaged, otherwise how are the motors meant to turn the whole shebang?  This may be why I have been unsucessful in my previous efforts as I have moved the scope and mount to the home poisiton and then left the clutches disengaged.......

Hi again.

Thanks for the feedback...tried it out just now and yup...all working as it should be.

Now need to find out where I put the adapter ring for my camera....it has been put in the 'safe place' until I could get myself sorted...oh joy.

Realise tke OTA I have is primarily designed for camera work, but would it still be useable for some general 'through the eyepiece' viewing?

Still have to collimate my scope too as the collimator I got was dead out of the box and is being replaced.

Also need to get me a decent compass to find out just where north it too.....

Archived