NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet of the Century: A Horizon Special bbc2 sat 9.15pm

SHUTTLE ATLANTIS

So are the BBC saying that they have sufficent data to say that in the next 86 years we are not going to get a better one?

Where do they have this data from ?

What do the BBC know of the Oort cloud and the dynamics of it, to be sure of this.

We are not actually very far into this century.

So are the BBC saying that they have sufficent data to say that in the next 86 years we are not going to get a better one?

Where do they have this data from ?

What do the BBC know of the Oort cloud and the dynamics of it, to be sure of this.

We are not actually very far into this century.

I suspect the BBC wouldn't claim to be the arbiter and it's an epithet that's been merrily bandied around since last year. Let's face it the more realistic title we might come up with between us is unlikely to have the same 'marketing pizazz' though would certainly be more technically accurate and pragmatic. :laugh:

I'll look forward to the programme and thanks for the heads up but any astro event that gets dubbed "..... of the century" is usually doomed to be disappointing from previous experience  :rolleyes2:

The really good ones are often surprises and can get overlooked completely by the popular media. 

I'll look forward to the programme and thanks for the heads up but any astro event that gets dubbed "..... of the century" is usually doomed to be disappointing from previous experience  :rolleyes2:

The really good ones are often surprises and can get overlooked completely by the popular media.

Who will ever forget the russian meteorite at the time when all eyes where on something else.

Archived