SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings from Cannock UK

reaper30

Hey all.

I have been lurking for a little while now so it makes sense to actually sign up for an account and contribute a little!

I keep looking at telescopes and reviews online and this site keeps coming up in the searches and the information is very good thank you.

I am a complete beginner and have always had an interest in the sky at night but never done anything about it until now (I'm getting old at 39 now haha).

Why leave it until now? Well, laziness really. Always had a lot of things going on but thats no excuse and now my daughter (she is 81/2) is starting to ask me questions about the planets and stars etc and I have no clue how to answer a lot of them!

So expect a few beginner questions from me or my daughter as we are going to go on a learning venture together :)

Regards

reaper30

p.s We will try to find the answers to my questions before I ask them!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, reaper30, and a warm welcome to SGL to both you and your daughter. If you haven't done already, I can recommend you download the free planetarium 'Stellarium' (available here: http://stellarium.org/). This is useful not only as a teaching guide to where things are in the sky, but also as a detailed planner for an evening's viewing. It is fully customisable for your location, and is ideal for an 81/2 year old to play with! (I know, my nephew is the same age - and loves 'Stellarium'!!)

Hope this helps,

Martin

Hi, reaper30, and a warm welcome to SGL to both you and your daughter. If you haven't done already, I can recommend you download the free planetarium 'Stellarium' (available here: http://stellarium.org/). This is useful not only as a teaching guide to where things are in the sky, but also as a detailed planner for an evening's viewing. It is fully customisable for your location, and is ideal for an 81/2 year old to play with! (I know, my nephew is the same age - and loves 'Stellarium'!!)

Hope this helps,

Martin

Thanks for this I will download it and we will have a play with it :)

Archived