Greetings from yet another astronomical newbie!

f-stop

Hello everyone! For more than 60 years I have wanted a telescope and this week I finally bought one - a Celestron Nexstar 8SE. The moment I clicked on the "buy" button the skies clouded over and have stayed that way.......... Fortunately I live in a rural location, only a mile from the East Coast of Norfolk so the viewing should be good when/if the skies ever clear! You will have gathered that I am a "glass half empty" type! I promise that if it remains cloudy for more than six months, I'll sell the telescope so that you can all get back to clear skies!

For many a long year, I was a qualified professional photographer so I am familiar with optics - but the upside down, wrong way round stuff is going to challenge my remaining three brain cells! Not to mention ecliptic, right ascension and all the other strange terms you guys use!

I am really looking forward to getting a camera onto the 'scope either piggybacked or through the telescope.

Oh well - back to the instruction books...... I bought a moon filter and have to work out where it fits. It seems to be assumed that buyers of astronomical kit all know exactly how everything goes together.

Baz.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Baz and welcome to SGL.  I started late also, but it's never too late to throw yourself into a new hobby.  When the sky clears and you take your first picture I can guarantee you won't be selling your kit - this is a very addictive hobby.

Happy Stargazing.

Brenda :smiley:

Welcome to SGL Baz. I am soley an imager - Don't look through my scope!! If you want to look into AP can I recommend the most excellent book 'Making Every Photon Count' which is available in the book section of the FLO website. Something of an imagers bible, it will really help you understand what you will need and why. It is more for DSO imaging though, so if that's not going to be your bag, ignore my comments!!!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Welcome to SGL Baz. That happened to me when I bought my Celestron Nexstar 127SLT last year - rain & cloud followed for 3 weeks. I'm planning to try and get outside tonight to try some imaging with newly purchased Canon 1100D and APT software on a laptop.

Ask any daft questions you like. I have found the folks here very helpful and patient with total newbies like me.

Archived