Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First go at M42

Oily

Took this the other night/morning,first time I've imaged this and really pleased with it.Taken with a 200P on an EQ5/AstroEQ,modified Canon350D with a 1.25" Castell UHC filter(for the light pollution)21 x 120 sec subs at ISO1600,processed through CS5 by Mark,cheers once again.

Didn't realise how bright the core was so had to 'borrow' a few subs off QM to get some detail in the core :)

post-24070-0-85389600-1384426723_thumb.p

That's a good first for M42 loads of detail.Looks like it would benefit from some flats to stop the darkening of the corners.This is one that its best to take two sets of subs a set of short ones to get the detail in the trapezium and a set of longer ones for the outer regions of nebulosity.Process them separately and then layer them in photoshop.Plenty of more detailed info on how to do this is easy to find

That's a good first for M42 loads of detail.Looks like it would benefit from some flats to stop the darkening of the corners.This is one that its best to take two sets of subs a set of short ones to get the detail in the trapezium and a set of longer ones for the outer regions of nebulosity.Process them separately and then layer them in photoshop.Plenty of more detailed info on how to do this is easy to find

Thanks Andy,I have a set of master flats etc but they're were taken a months or so ago.I thought the temp difference would effect the outcome??

Very nice. Been too long since I've seen this through my scope.

Very good M42 ! It is always a grateful object to image.

Cheers guys

Thanks Andy,I have a set of master flats etc but they're were taken a months or so ago.I thought the temp difference would effect the outcome??

Cheers guys

I am not sure but I don't think the temperature difference would be important with flats due to them  having such a short exposure time.My flats are not at the same temperature as my lights and they work ok.certainly worth a try

Stroke of luck then, im trying to think of ways to kill time until Orion is in my sights:-) hopefully bag some Ha subs instead of S2 as i got the filters muddled up last run even though i got some good detail.

I got M42 last year with the 600 & when it pops out of the screen its wow!!! Makes the hobby all worth while.

Archived