Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

I have to echo the other posters comments. I check in every day since I found this forum a few weeks ago. Everyone is so helpful. I have asked loads of questions and every one has been answered quickly. There is so much information here and I learn something every time I look through each topic. Many thanks to everyone for a brilliant site.

hey im trying to finde out how much my telescope is worth so i can sell it bt th badge has falen off all i know is that its got revolution 12 written on the side of it its 5 feet tall and sits on a trolly and has a 32mm deep feild lens , would be gratefull for ny feed back thanks

I have to say that I think that this is an excellent forum. You've managed to create something which is helpful and friendly. I would second the post saying that it's great to be able to start a thread without the fear of being flamed for not searching (though of course that IS where people should start!)

I have just one suggestion: It would be even more useful if the primers were organized a little better and perhaps if things were only moved to that forum if they were posted elsewhere and passed muster. It can be a little difficult to find things by searching especially if you don't know exactly what you are looking for. Having a hierarchical structure divided by kit / observing / imaging etc with futher subdivisions would make navigatig this content much easier and might cut down on some of the noob questions...

Great stuff though, thanks SGL!

Awesome site, the only thing that's a little frustrating is experienced users using abreviations (just second nature i guess), so when talking to noobs it would be nice if they put the meaning of the abreviation next to the abreviation (ie FOV "field of view" ect), apart from that it's an awesome site.

I've only been here a week ( I've done nearly 50 posts)

The one thing for me is the search box doesn't seem to help much. It would be good to do research first before posting so you don't double or multiple post on a subject and being able to personally mark posts for you own reading or referring back to would be good. E.G you can save the post to go back to it later like when review an item to buy you can pick 5 things to confer against.

Helps been amazing even to real basic questions like I have been asking. Keep it going SGL.

Abbreviations, etc.

Great site, i've really enjoyed my first week or so learning more everyday.

I did start a thread about abbreviations and got some great responces including the one above.

Do a copy and paste and put them in a word doc on your desktop for a quick ref.

Edited by Gra

Firstly, it's great to finally find a decent source of information and access to experts on the web, particularly aimed for U.K astronomers. I am a complete newbie to astronomy, barring a few cold nights with my brothers old Tasco (yikes!) Refractor in the early 1990's, and yes despite using this PoS I am still interested in Astronomy! After seeing Jupiter and Saturn all those years ago I'm still hooked and keen to kick-start off my interest again.

My main gripe is that I am obviously looking to purchase a good quality telescope, but at minimal cost. Why do I have to have submmitted 50-posts before I can access the Classified sections of this site? This seems to be somewhat of a handicapped to us newcomers. Is this to stop newbies from buying good 2nd-hand kit or beating you

amateurs/pros to the good stuff...? :)

Is there any fast track way of getting 50-posts without annoying the hell out of people by asking seriously pointless questions just to get my 50-posts logged on the system?

Cheers,

Gary

Edited by collangm

Firstly, it's great to finally find a decent source of information and access to experts on the web, particulalry aimed for U.K astronomers. I am a complete newbie to astronomy, barring a few cold nights with my brothers old Tasco (yikes!) Refractor in the early 1990's, and yes despite using this PoS I ams still interested in Astronomy! After seeing Jupiter and Saturn all those years ago I'm still hooked and keen to kick-start off my insterest again.

My main gripe is that I am obviously looking to purchase a good quality telescope, but at minimal cost. Why do I have to have submmitted 50-posts before I can access the Classified sections of this site? This seems to be somewhat of a handicapped to us newcomers. Is this sto stop newbies from buying good 2nd-hand kit or beating you amatuers/pros to the good stuff...? :)

Is there any fast track way of getting 50-posts without annoying the hell out of people by asking seriously pointless questions just to get my 50-posts logged on the system?

Cheers,

Gary

Welcome to SGL Gary, I'm glad you're finding it a useful resource. We thought long and hard about the restrictions on the classified sections. We've had problems with traders snapping up bargains before members had a chance, and people just using the forum for buying and selling and not being prepared to be part of our community. Therefore all we ask is that you become an active member, and wait for a month, before getting access.

Helen

I also wanted to add, to those newbies that requested information to buying a new scope for the first time, I would certainly recommend the following;

Hopefully, the link will not be blocked.

The people from ExpertVillage (American I'm afraid but very good all the same) have provided a series of YouTube videos (20 in all) that take you step-by-step through the different types of telescope, binoculars, and accessories to help you make that final decision.

If the links is blocked then simply search YouTube for 'Ho to buy a Telescope', select the first clip from ExpertVillage that looks like it's in a shop (which it is) and then on the right hand side, when the clip opens, select the clip that highlights the PLAYLIST (34 Videos) option. Only the firat 20 videos are really useful IMHO.

Gary

Edited by collangm

hey im trying to finde out how much my telescope is worth so i can sell it bt th badge has falen off all i know is that its got revolution 12 written on the side of it its 5 feet tall and sits on a trolly and has a 32mm deep feild lens , would be gratefull for ny feed back thanks

Does it look like this:

Revelation 12" Premium Dobsonian Telescope

How much did you pay for it, what condition is it in....

BTW this should really be posted in Beginners Help as a separate thread

Edited by Mikea

Excellent site ,but my only gripe again is about the buy and sell ,i am new to this and without a scope have very limited knowledge so find it hard to get my posts up without just posting drivel and i would feel a bit more happy buying from people who are passionate about their hobby than someone off ebay looking to make a quick buck

Excellent site ,but my only gripe again is about the buy and sell ,i am new to this and without a scope have very limited knowledge so find it hard to get my posts up without just posting drivel and i would feel a bit more happy buying from people who are passionate about their hobby than someone off ebay looking to make a quick buck

I would certainly echo Shallowskies (David's) reply comment above - This site has been extremely helpful to me and your first 50-posts will soon fly by!

Gary

Edited by collangm

Have you managed to set it up? one way to get used to it is to use it in daylight to look at a distant land object (pylon on the horizon kinda thing) this will give you practice in focusing and moving the scope around using the controls.

only joined yesterday and have just picked up my first scope

cant get over how friendly and ready to offer advice everyone has been so far

after having a passing interest in astronomy for years, and having now just taken the plunge into buying a scope, the welcome I have received has made my resolve to get into this fascinating hobby even stronger

cheers and keep up the great work on these forums

stick

Hi,

I only joined this evening and was given for Christmas a Celestron Astromaster 76, which so far I've not been able to use or see anything ?? Can anyone help with some pointers?

Welcome to SGL Milky Way! I've set up a new thread for this question as you're more likely to get advice if its in a separate thread http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/134709-celestron-astromaster-76-pointers-please.html

Helen