Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

I'd just like to echo the many comments on here. This is a truly a superb forum. The welcome to new members and the level of information, for the beginner to expert, is exceptional. Must be staring at the cosmos that does it.

I agree with all the above. My "Welcome" post left me amazed with the amount of warm wishes I received. I've since posted a lot of questions (too many?) but been met with understandable, sympathetic answers.

Sites like this can lead me to ask more questions; as I read more the more I want to learn. However everyone has been polite in their response. Other sites tend to "talk down" to you unless you have the best kit, which I'm a couple of light years from at the moment!

So thanks again, keep up the good work!

I am a complete novice and I've enjoyed reading through the posts. You're all very friendly and I think the site is great.

I do have one query - I can't find the section in the forums where secondhand equipment is listed. Am I missing something really obvious, or is it tucked away? :)

I am a complete novice and I've enjoyed reading through the posts. You're all very friendly and I think the site is great.

I do have one query - I can't find the section in the forums where secondhand equipment is listed. Am I missing something really obvious, or is it tucked away? :)

I'm glad you're enjoying the forum Wayne :mad:

The For Sale section is available to established members (you'll need 50 posts to see it) in the Equipment section.

Helen

i have been a member here now for over a year, and imo this is by far the superior astronomy site. every one pitches in and helps, there is no negativity what so ever, the advice is excellent, and the comments on pictures or images are constructive. thank you to the creator of this site, long may it be.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Would just like to say a Big ty to everyone on here. Its a great forum with information that is so usefull.

Everyone is nice and helpfull, and if you are in a sticky situation, post your problem, and it is resolved.

Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

This site is very good indeed, I've had a lot of advice simply by asking for it. It really is indispensible for a newbie like me. One way I think the site could be improved is by having a review page where one simply enters details ot the scope/mount/ep/book or whatever to find all existing reviews.

Also, is there a buy and sell page? I've seen reference to one but have been unable to find it, this may of course be due to my own deficiencies.

Li'l John - you'll see the "For Sale" section after one complete months active membership including 50 posts. I see you have 65 allready so not long to go (around 3-4 days it seems) :D

Edited by brantuk

I feel I have to post here.

I learned more about practical observation and many other areas in my first week here than I did in the previous 30yrs!

Still a long way to go just reading around.

It's not just a case of probably the most friendly forum of any sort I've visited or joined - it is.

I've had pm's from people who thought I might not like their advice posted openly on the board - when there was nothing negative about the advice offered. That was incredibly thoughtful.

I've had another member point my attention to an item of kit and when this was received it worked perfectly to expectations. So thankyou there.

What an amazing group of people!

Thanks for all of the help and encouragement :)

Edited by Altair40

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must admit to being a little daunted with all the information i did know that i didnt know...if you know what i mean... Anyway, my very first impression of the site was the "newcomers" section. i immediately felt a little less daunted as there was a section where i can gather the basics of astronomy without having to go through the whole forum. i felt i could just dip my toes in for a little wiggle all the time gaining knowledge and confidence so when i do go and have a good look at the rest of the forum i at least have an idea of what people are talking about.

I have been a member of a couple of forums through different interests, all of them have been friendly and SGL is no exception. where SGL does differ though is in its size and wealth of information... this place is HUGE ! and i'm really looking forward to my journey with lots of help from SGL members to becoming more acquainted with our universe.

Edited by moogy

I know that I joined a year ago, but only opened my telescope a couple of weeks ago!! So I consider myself very new to all of this, despite my welcome post being almost 12 months ago!

The folks on here have been brilliant. They are really understanding and helpful with my stupid and dumb questions!! Probably ones that the have heard countless times before! A couple of members have responded to my PM's when I have a specific question for them - All in all, this is a great place with excellent people on here.

Thank you to all, and I look forward to being able to put something back into the forum, instead of take, take, take, when I know some more!! Thanks SGL.

Edited by swag72

Hi i hope this is not taken the wrong way but having made my welcome post (i was asked about my nickname) i have just gone to edit my profile with a little info about myself and found there is no profile info (am i missing something) i find this quite strange as i find this to be the norm on all other sites/forums i use ...

i'm looking forward to using your site as i progress into the world of astronomy/astrophotography

• 2 weeks later...

Im absoloutley loving this website, ive had pleanty of great advice and everyone is dead friendly.

There is no negativity and best of all is how people such as me who are new to the hobby are treated. A lot of forums will talk down to and patronise "newbies" but here its quite the opposite :)

Im absoloutley loving this website, ive had pleanty of great advice and everyone is dead friendly.

There is no negativity and best of all is how people such as me who are new to the hobby are treated. A lot of forums will talk down to and patronise "newbies" but here its quite the opposite :evil6:

Couldn't agree more with this. At no point has anyone on this forum ever been disparaging or negative. As beginners to the subject you quite often feel apprehensive about asking what you may consider to be silly or stupid questions. However the enthusiasm and genuine & friendly advice is wonderful and is a credit to all who helped form this site.

It really should be a MUST for all would be Astronomy nuts.

Thanks very much to all who have offered me advice and to all the SGL admin. :)

I could not agree more with the above - I am a newbie who has been met with nothing but good advice. No sarcy comments about the questions I have asked (even though thay have been asked hundreds of times before I bet) and everyone seems really friendly. Great site for a newbie - thanks.:icon_eek: