SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

As a newcomer I'd like to thank everyone on this site for making me feel welcome. I am a true beginner but every time I log on I feel as though I learn something new. Shame the weather doesn't allow me to use some of my new found knowledge!

I'm new at this also. I set up in my front yard next to the street. It's a quiet neighborhood and I live on a cul-de-sac, so there isn't much traffic, but I do wonder what anyone driving by would think when they see me out there at midnight or 1 AM. I was particularly self-conscious when I was aligning my finder scope by pointing at ground level objects in the 'hood. What the heck. They'll get use to it.

• 2 months later...
In my very short time on this forum so far it's been awesome, all you have to do to get advice is just ask , There is always someone able to help in some way.. A very helpful forum indeed..

And lots of friendly people too...

Glad to be a part of it...

Regards Badgerjc....

In my very short time on this forum so far it's been awesome, all you have to do to get advice is just ask , There is always someone able to help in some way.. A very helpful forum indeed..

And lots of friendly people too...

Spent hours already just looking back at previous postings and have many more to go. At least there'll be something to do when it's cloudy.

HeHe when isnt it cloudy?

I have only been a member for a few weeks and I have really learnt alot from all these great people here .. Ooooh and SPENT alot too ! I love the reviews reading so many peoples thoughts on equipment and the good humour that abounds here, You really are such a nice bunch of people - No wonder you have got so many lovely comments. OH and i downloaded the software Stellarium - great viewing - as someone else said on cloudy nights you can see what ur missing! and ONE OTHER THING being a female I dont feel an outsider!

I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me decide on the right scope for me. In particular, Brantuk for constant help. He always seems to be there when you need a question answered (thank you :D).

Just decided on going for the TMB 6mm Planetary II EP for my next buy. So again, thanks for everyone's help and reviews on this EP.

Just got to get the hang of locating objects and overcome this weather issue we always seam to have in the UK and i will be set :)

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

This forum is the best thing in the world since (and including) sliced bread!

Everything useful I have learned so far about astronomy I have learned here. All members are polite, helpful, knowledgeable and at times hysterically funny. While my other half spends her evenings trawling around Facebook and playing Farm-ville (yawn) I can, and do, spend hours sifting through the mountains of useful info here.

Keep up the great work one and all and thanks to everyone who has helped and encouraged me so far.

Hi Daz and all SGL members

As for the forum interface I am already impressed with the ease of uploading pictures which I have found can be an utter pain on other forums. F&Q's cover any other issues and overall the experience is pleasurable and to the point.

As for the SGL members I offer a big thank you as my first post came straight back with plenty of helpful advice and enthusiasm. I'm sure long established members have heard my kinds of question time and time again but they have still made an effort to help out.

Thank you SGL and whishing us all clear dark skies

Hi joined a few weeks ago and when not trying to find things to look at skywards am deep into finding out from the Posts what thngs I can do to improve my set-up.

There is some very useful information and I have just spent a few hours going through thr threads posted on the SharpCap free software for image capture. Brilliant.

Ca'nt wait to get 50 Posts to see whats up for sale as my 130EQ is not big enough in the aperture department now

Hi,

I just joined and asked some questions about which telescope to buy. The number of informative replies has been amazing and no one has made me feel at all daft as I dither about which telescope to buy.

This seems like a lovely informative site and as I've been reading through past threads it is lovely to see a supportive community who are not nasty to each other and who are happy to have a good laugh. I haven't seen any trolling or name-calling which I have found mars (oops sorry for that terrible pun :)) other Forums.

Hi. Just wanted to say that i think this site is great for beginners. When i joined a few weeks ago i was greeted with many nice welcome messages from fellow users and that in itself is enough to make you feel at home.

Also i read the new posts most days and can see that all your more experienced users are more than happy to share there knowledge of the subject with anyone that requires it.

To sum up i used to think that astronomy was a lonely hobby but not anymore as there is always someone on here to appreciate the wonderful things you are seeing and who will advise you how best to observe them.

Great job guys!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't think of anything to say that hasn't already been said. A very warm welcome followed by as much freely given and genuinely helpful advice as any newbie astronomer could hope for. Top marks everyone, many thanks from me.

Paul.

This forum is brilliant and I have been on a few in my time. Any forum is going to be much better if the people on the forum themselves are kind thoughtful good humored and knowledgeable. Cant fault it everyones been great and made me feel very welcome, top marks for a great forum..

Great forum! I might be the newest of newbies to astronomy and to the site. I just joined yesterday and made my first post demonstrating my great ignorance by making my first question about a telescope purchase. (Actually, it was the opportunity to get what seemed to be a bargain that rekindled my interest.)

I've not done any skywatching to speak of for 30 or more years. I can find the constellations and even some of the planets without instruments. What I cannot do is read many of the posts here that interest me because I have not yet acquired the vocabulary necessary to understand what I'm reading.

Would it be possible to create a page (or a sticky post) that gives us newbies a place to learn the terms? I've been trying to learn about telescopes and have been overwhelmed by terminology - some of which I think I know and still other which confuses me. What's the difference between refractor and reflector? Newtonian and Dobsonian? Plossi and Barlow? And I haven't even started on the confusing issue of tracking equipment.

These are but a few examples of terms that apply to 'scopes, and I'm certain there are countless more that apply to other topics. A Glossary of terms would be wonderful. If it could be augmented by links, or pics ore other information, all the better.

WELL! THAT WAS EMBARRASSING! :( I found the glossary. It was what I was looking for. May I suggest that it be promoted to higher rank on the forum. Maybe up there with Newbie Questions?

Having complied with the request for feedback, let me now add my kudos for a wonderful site that I'm certain will continue to give me hours of entertainment and useful information. I live in the American Southwest - in the central part of Texas - and it is great to see posts from so many people scattered around out globe. I hope that I will progress in my journey to learn quickly and might someday become a contributor here.

Thank you!

Edited by rabbithutch

Thanks for the feedback everyone - it does encourage us!

Rabbithutch - here's a link to a glossary section http://stargazerslounge.com/glossary-terms/ (and there are some other useful articles in the primers section too) which should give you a head start on the learning curve. If there is anything else you need to know please just ask :(

Helen

PS I think it might be worth signposting the glossary a bit more (I'll see what we can do :( )

Edited by Helen
added the link (sorry)

Hi,

Me and my dad are new to star gazing and wondered if there are any meetings/evenings where we could drop by for some advice/assistance on how to get our telescope set up....We are from the West Midlands, Uk...

After reading through some posts Coombe Abbey seems quite popular...any advice????

Thanks

Been on this site for about a month but unlike most of the other noobs I brought a scope before joining - wish i'd done it the other way round now! The guys and girls on here and not forgetting those at FLO have been so helpful and full of advice and tips. Top site keep it up, now off to see if i've really wasted my money !!