NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

I use APT for controlling my DSLR & CCD cameras, plus it links to my filter wheel. Hmm, don't think a Moonlite focus motor is in budget looking at the prices on their website! Might have to investigate the DIY route.

Sent from my OnePlus One

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope Terry's recovering ok

Mark

Yes, he is much brighter today. Trouble is that now he isn't in as much pain, he is going to start feeling bored. He has got an appointment on Wednesday afternoon for his dressing changing, but the bandages will be put back on as he can't have his stitches out until Friday 16th October at the earliest. However, they said it might have to be 15 days after the operation with them opening him up so much. First day of me being at work and leaving him this morning, and he said he was bored already. Don't know how he's going to cope with 6 weeks at home. I have already said that he'll find out that I do nothing all day apart from avoid the housework and go out for coffee! Oh dear.... :)

Gives him all your astronomy now mags to read

Haha, I just suggested it to him and he said "No thanks, I'd rather go back to work!" He doesn't mind humouring me by looking through the scope every so often when I have something interesting for him to view. For example, he had a look at Epsilon Lyrae the other day as it looked great. He's really not interested in Astro-stuff. I'm just blessed that he doesn't mind me being into it so much, as is very understanding at how much things cost, and how much time you have to put into it when skies allow. It also works out well that he usually has to go to bed so early for work, as he doesn't mind me disappearing out to do viewing late at night :)

looks like I wont be at Keilder this weekend,  have a date clash I didn't realise about,  namely going to see the Mighty Rhinos in the superleague final at old Trafford, (thought the game was weekend after ) doh

looks like I wont be at Keilder this weekend,  have a date clash I didn't realise about,  namely going to see the Mighty Rhinos in the superleague final at old Trafford, (thought the game was weekend after ) doh

Oh no, looks like it'll be just me, Soupy and the kids....... :(

Re: Power supply, I am using 8 X AA 1.5 batteries at the moment for my goto ,I am still using the ones I bought from the Co-op and they are still ok after 9 hours usage, there are packs of 48 on ebay at £13-45p, so should give me over 54hrs use which in any case will do me for the time being.

However, I do need a more substantial power source and this subject is covered in detail with differing suggestions throughout the SGL topics. 

I need something simple for an idiot and was all set to buy a skywatcher power tank as I am useless at wiring things up,( a danger in fact) when I became confused with some of the negative feedback they have received.

Are they any good, for a goto like mine on the 4" frac with a dew shield operating from it.

Also, how do you stop both the eyepiece and finder scope from misting (dewing) up?.

Any suggestions please will be appreciated.

ps. this is a definite beginners question I know, but anyway, I have read articles regarding using various battery types ie; golf trolleys, marine, caravan, mobility scooter etc  , but didn't quite get how they actually connect easily to the goto motor.

Regards

Eric

pps:  Suppose I should be patient and wait until I have had the opportunity to chat in person with some of you regarding these and other starter queries, so please accept my apologies for being an inpatient newbie!!!   

for the az synscan mount I have bene using a jumpstarter 7ah pack from maplin,  cost abut £40 or so,

the lead to connect it to the mount is a car cigarette lighter plug wired into a 2.1mm centre positive 12v dc connector,

for the dew control I have no idea s never used one,

as for leisure battries etc then you will have to wire it up for the connectors you require and build / adapt a case for it,  plenty of people here who can help with that though

for the az synscan mount I have bene using a jumpstarter 7ah pack from maplin, cost abut £40 or so,

the lead to connect it to the mount is a car cigarette lighter plug wired into a 2.1mm centre positive 12v dc connector,

for the dew control I have no idea s never used one,

as for leisure battries etc then you will have to wire it up for the connectors you require and build / adapt a case for it, plenty of people here who can help with that though

7ah for £40 that's quite poor tbh Leigh but it does have all the connectors on it

Leigh I had a similar one of those and they are good to run a HEQ5 for about 2 hours, frustrating if it takes almost an hour to set up though, and it is an incredibly clear night! :)

Still have one though for back up or a quick unaligned session.

Archived