NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Hey guys could I get a bit of advice please? I offered to give my daughter's reception class a quick talk on the solar eclipse on Thursday and I've now, somehow been roped into going to each class and giving a 5 mins talk to each class, [emoji33]

I was thinking of drawing a poor representation of Earth on the white board and using a ball and torch to simulate the eclipse while giving a brief discription of what is happening. Does this sound ok? I've done anything like this before and I'm really trying to avoid getting to in depth with it. Any advice anyone could give would be appreciated.

Oh I also offered our services if they ever want us to do a talk on astronomy and show some of the gear we use. Hope that was ok?

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys could I get a bit of advice please? I offered to give my daughter's reception class a quick talk on the solar eclipse on Thursday and I've now, somehow been roped i to going each class and giving a 5 mins talk to each class, [emoji33]

I was thinking of drawing a poor reresentation of Earth on the white board and using a ball and torch to simulate the eclipse while giving a brief discription of what is happening. Does this sound ok? I've done anything like this before and I'm really trying to avoid getting to in depth with it. Any advice anyone could give would be appreciated.

Oh I also offered our services if they ever what use to do a talk on astronomy and show some of the gear we use. Hope that was ok?

Sounds good Simon. 5 minutes should be enough for a quick talk, keep it as simple as possible  and im sure you will be ok.

The main thing Jeremy is to stress the importance of the dangers about viewing the sun.

You could always do the projection method on card too

Well that's what I mentioned to her teacher and I think we'll make some with my daughter's class. With the rest of the classes they want me to just do a brief explantion of what is happening and why it happens. My biggest issue is trying to keep it simple lol.

Jeremy

Will be first thing, so about 9ish and then going round to the other classes afterwards. I'm just a touch nervous, as I've never done anything like this before but I'm sure it will be fine. And thank you very much for the support and kind words guys.

It's new AN magazine day today! Having a quiet hour's read before work. Also got my card cut and sorted around my binoculars so I'm ready to try the projection method using them if clear skies allow on Friday morning.

Sounds like you'll have fun at the school Jeremy - you'll be great! :)

It's new AN magazine day today! Having a quiet hour's read before work. Also got my card cut and sorted around my binoculars so I'm ready to try the projection method using them if clear skies allow on Friday morning.

Sounds like you'll have fun at the school Jeremy - you'll be great! :)

its this thursday for the S@N mag. think ill sit down and read it straight away, will give me something to do if I havnt shifted this cold by then!

My husband has just sent me a notification from MetCheck - apparently there is a good chance of the Northern Lights over the UK this evening. Just thought I'd let you know as the skies may clear for us later. Fingers crossed! :)

yep aurora watch is carrying the KP as 8.3,  so that's a good sign,  even better for me if it carys on into next week as am going to Iceland for 3 days in search of them.

Buying a new scope picking it up week on Saturday when I am back home, so expect cloud (150pds before anyone asks,  ota etc only no mount, but  a bargain price)

I've just been in the back yard, and there is an orange glow all around to the North, West and a East, low to the horizon rather than high in the sky. It doesn't seem like the usual light pollution. Is this part of the aurora? Can anyone else see anything as it is quite clear Wakefield way at the minute?

would think that's light pollution Vicky,  if its anything like it is here in beeston the air is quite damp and that exaggerates the pollution as moisture in the air diffuses the light,

Hope I am wrong though

It would take a very bright auroa to be seen from Wakefield with its light pollution. Maybe a trip into the northern Pennines  would have given some results though last night.

I did wonder about having a drive but was so full of cold I went to bed! 

Mmmm, yes, I indulged with a couple of pints of the black stuff too! :)

Successfully set up my binos ready for projecting an image of the eclipse (clear skies permitting on Friday).

http://t.co/nIwiWLCL4S

Was really pleased with the result, and I can even make out a lovely sun spot on the right hand edge.

My neighbour is bringing a music stand round for me to stand my sketch pad on, so hopefully I can sketch it as it progresses.

http://t.co/Zn0RpqOeUp

I went out to otley and wetherby last night but it was too misty. fog was quit bad. If it had of been Friday or Saturday I would have gone further north and stopped out longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a quick go this morning with a bit of baader film on my camera - just so i could plan my settings for friday - and also noticed that sun spot on the right hand edge.

focus wasnt brilliant and this is heavily zoomed/cropped, but its there! Properly cloudy and hazy when i took the piccy, but shows promise that i can capture it under less than ideal conditions and get my animation of the eclipse!

post-26554-0-44463300-1426675811_thumb.j

Archived