Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Thank you Matt - I think I have a bit more understanding now.

The leaflet I got with the camera didn't explain it, although they probably expect someone to have an idea of what they are doing before buying the camera!

I hadn't realised it couldn't do guiding and imaging at the same time.

I don't think I'll ever need to connect it to the 8SE as the tracking on the Goto is good enough for the planetary imaging I have been starting out with.

So, when I attempt DSO imaging (probably a few months down the line) would the best solution be to us the Atik 161C-S with the 80mm frac on a EQ mount with motor drive?

Would I need to use the focal reducer or this also?

So much to learn :)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vicky the 8Se would only be good for shorter exposure even with guiding as I believe it will only be guided in Az. This would still give you field rotation on your images so not good for long exposure, but you could do some very good images on a shorter exposure and then have something like deep sky stacker to stack the images and rotate them automatically to match them up.

The EQ mount would be better but not sure if that has the st4 autoguider port, and the periodic error correction (PEC) might be too much for the guide camera to correct for. You need something like the HEQ5pro or better for the best and most accurate guiding.

On your other question, the longer f9 scope would be better for planets but a shorter f ratio is more desirable when doing DSO's.

I dug the old reflector out of the shed tonight, and i mean dug lol. it didnt look too good, the finder scope has dropped off lol. ill get that back tomorrow :) 

anyway, i took the cover off it, saw a couple of cobwebs in it, put an eyepiece in it and it looked like a scope again.

As you know, its got no stand, so only one thing to do. Sling the scope under my arm and then just looked at the stars like that. anyway, the scope seems ok, i viewed jupiter and its moons through it so not bad at all. collomation seemed ok, its just been stood up in the corner of the shed so not been banged around or anything.

just need to get an altaz mount for it now along with some scope rings and jobs a good un!

Thanks Soupy and Leigh. I think I have confused you with my questions. It was just the autoguider port on the 8SE I was querying if/how it could be used with the camera. I knew the CG-3 mount can only be tracked, not guided. I have got my motor drive fitted this evening as Ryan has kindly been with the screw he shortened for me. So that mount is all sorted now with my 80mm frac and it looks great - thank you again Leigh.

When I am ready to try the DSO camera, I may try using the 8SE with a focal reducer, and do what you suggest by taking shorter exposures and using Deep Sky Stacker. It's worth a try and the worst that can happen is for it not to work lol.

However, I understand aperture isn't important with DSO and many forums have recommended an 80mm frac with the Atik 161C-S.

I am hoping if I get it polar aligned well, then the motor drive will keep it tracked for longer periods of time without having to adjust the Dec. I need experience in the basics before I get too concerned with upgrading to more complex mounts. That will be next year!

Anyway, that's for another time when I get my head around things.

For now I'm just going to have a play with the 80mm frac on the new EQ mount and practice polar aligning and using it as I have never used sn EQ mount before.

It's all good fun! :)

Hmm, been out for a little bit tonight, the setup went better, but I think I need to invest in a new focuser - since with the weight of the Focal Reducer & Filter Wheel & Atik camera hanging off the back the stock focuser was slipping.

Only captured a single 120s of M51, but you can see some structure there.

20150310 M51

Hmm, been out for a little bit tonight, the setup went better, but I think I need to invest in a new focuser - since with the weight of the Focal Reducer & Filter Wheel & Atik camera hanging off the back the stock focuser was slipping.

Only captured a single 120s of M51, but you can see some structure there.

Does it not have a lock on it Matt? And have you tried tightening the adjusting screws underneath?

The stock ED80 focuser does have a focus lock - but it's a thumbscrew against the drawtube type, which causes image shift - i.e. you get focus perfect then try and lock it down & it goes slightly out.

I've now found some tutorials which help adjust the tension using the other screws underneath the focuser, might have a go at that tonight. Certainly cheaper than ordering a Moonlite...

Have any of you got any experience of the Astromedia cardboard kits,

have just spent £40 or so buying some for my 10 year old nephew upcoming birthday , he is showing an interest in science in general, and he is adept at building basic construction kits,  he gave me a list, so have bought 'the small gallileo telescope,  solar zeppelin, eclipse specs, pocket kite, microscope kit'  plus some bits for myself fire starter kit for when I am camping mainly

was going to buy him a SW heritage table top dob I have seen new at £35, but it wont get much use I think as he would need someone as in me to be around anytime he wanted to use it and I cant always be there.

Matt have you tried to tighten the lock screw to just before it locks, making the focus only move a little then when you get focus lock it down. That has worked on mine before...

Nice image, it is difficult to get detail on this, as with being faint it needs lots of time... Have you done any stretching of the image to try to get more detail?

Just been looking at reviews on that table top dob,  (its not the heritage is the International year of astronomy 76mm manual one)  I might get it for myself,    its been sat in the shop window for over a year at £35 mightgo in and ask wjat he will take to get rid of it, (its a photography shop who dabble sin scopes)

Just been looking at reviews on that table top dob, (its not the heritage is the International year of astronomy 76mm manual one) I might get it for myself, its been sat in the shop window for over a year at £35 mightgo in and ask wjat he will take to get rid of it, (its a photography shop who dabble sin scopes)

It's not bargain hunt. But I don't blame u for having a try [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funnily enough Leigh, I was looking at that scope when I called into Ossett Photographic shop last week. I was attracted to it's colour and print design lol. He said he's had it in stock for over a year. I inquired over the price and he said it was about £70 which seemed expensive. Looking on-line it seems that £50 is an average price, so £35 is a very reasonable price - even better if you can haggle a bit more off! Reading the reviews it doesn't look like a bad little scope for the price :)

You could always get it and strip the mirrors out of it then make a suitcase Dob with it Leigh! ;) be lots easier to take anywhere with you then

U need to bring one of them in Paul. I've not seen one and might be interested for my caravan

You could always get it and strip the mirrors out of it then make a suitcase Dob with it Leigh! ;) be lots easier to take anywhere with you then

U need to bring one of them in Paul. I've not seen one and might be interested for my caravan

FLO sell it at £41 so £70 seems an excessive price @Vicky

suitcase dob from a 76mm donor scope? more like a Tupperware box dob lol

charging everything up in case overton is on for tomorrow night, but forecast does not look great

Archived