Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

I've got some Baader Optical Wonder Fluid & cotton buds/microfibre cloth I can bring down to the meeting for lens cleaning.

Also got about 14cm x 20cm (roughly half A4 sheet) of Baader Solar Film as well.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I left the house last night for my third night shift this week and walked out of the house noticing something was different on my patio.

It was much darker than usual? I quickly worked out whilst I'd been in bed off my night shift Friday morning the council have been and changed all the street lights to LED's

A good 90% less extraneous light is now cast my way. Result!!

The council have decided to turn off out street lights from about 12:20 to 5:50 making it a lot darker around here too. It's a shame it's just not earlier like 18:30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I left the house last night for my third night shift this week and walked out of the house noticing something was different on my patio.

It was much darker than usual? I quickly worked out whilst I'd been in bed off my night shift Friday morning the council have been and changed all the street lights to LED's

A good 90% less extraneous light is now cast my way. Result!!

yea, they have been replacing them around your area, also here in Royston too, ive had a darker garden now for some weeks thats to them changing the street light at the back of my house in the next street.  As far as I know there going to change them all over to LED. They have done the main road across staincross common as ive just driven down there now.

Just got back from a day trip to the Cotswolds and its such a nice dark sky down there, its always why I like going, good view of the milkyway, couldnt see me 31 tonight though with the eyes as it was a little bit hazy where it was in the sky.

It is quite noticeable the difference it makes. Definitely a lot less upward light too as I can see the stars out of the front window of my house whereas before the sodium's just blotted everything out. May be an idea to get out one night and take a photo across barnsley to compare the difference in a couple of years?  

It is quite noticeable the difference it makes. Definitely a lot less upward light too as I can see the stars out of the front window of my house whereas before the sodium's just blotted everything out. May be an idea to get out one night and take a photo across barnsley to compare the difference in a couple of years?  

thats not a bad idea actually. weve had LED lights on our street for the last few years, the only ones i ever saw in barnsley as they spent some money on it including resurfacing the road. The lack of glare above the lights in very noticeable as you say.  They still need to do the main road through Royston though, they seem to be doing all the side street first.

Here's some pics as you can see they are really directional and the light beams don't spread out much further than the road. I've adjusted the brightness as the camera picks up a lot more light than your eye but I've still not quite dimmed it enough. Even managed Emley Moor in the shot

post-28847-0-74991400-1425775825_thumb.j

post-28847-0-38557900-1425775829_thumb.j

post-28847-0-78401300-1425775832_thumb.j

As you say Astrotyke above the light's is a real difference, but the sideways light of the old sodium cast on my patio is gone. The moon is out full so I'll have to see what it's like when the new moon arrive's but it was really noticeable when I set off for work at 7pm friday night.

Here's some pics as you can see they are really directional and the light beams don't spread out much further than the road. I've adjusted the brightness as the camera picks up a lot more light than your eye but I've still not quite dimmed it enough. Even managed Emley Moor in the shot

attachicon.gifSDC12403.JPG

attachicon.gifSDC12405.JPG

attachicon.gifSDC12406.JPG

As you say Astrotyke above the light's is a real difference, but the sideways light of the old sodium cast on my patio is gone. The moon is out full so I'll have to see what it's like when the new moon arrive's but it was really noticeable when I set off for work at 7pm friday night.

Good pics, I think they do a good job of showing the light patern from the lights, heres to darker skies! It will be good when they do the whole of Barnsley, its got to make a difference hasnt it?

Good pics, I think they do a good job of showing the light patern from the lights, heres to darker skies! It will be good when they do the whole of Barnsley, its got to make a difference hasnt it?

Yeah like I said might be worth a trip to the top of staincross and take a pic or two see what it's like over barnsley in a couple of years time.

Looking great for observing, only problem with white light LED's is that you can't filter out the wavelength they shine at as it is so wide and in such a broad spectrum, which can make Astrophotography a little more difficult, unlike the sodium lights which, even though they turn the sky orange, can be filtered out as the orange glow is a narrow part of the spectrum.

Looking great for observing, only problem with white light LED's is that you can't filter out the wavelength they shine at as it is so wide and in such a broad spectrum, which can make Astrophotography a little more difficult, unlike the sodium lights which, even though they turn the sky orange, can be filtered out as the orange glow is a narrow part of the spectrum.

ih heard this bedore from somewhere else,  i guess theres no perfect solution other than turning all the lights off at night

Yes quite right Soupy so I guess you're all going to have to become visual observers he he ;-D

On a serious note with the light being directed more to the ground I should imagine the glow from town's and cities will diminish. Another thing about LED's that hasn't been mentioned anywhere is that they actually dim over time due to the driving power supply degrading which should be an even bigger win for astronomy.

Bring them on I say!

im envious of you lot lol. my little 4.5 in reflector is sat in the shed as it has been all winter, with probably spiders in it now lol, and im looking at telescope prices online, not much fun either.

Ill get my binoculars out and go and look at the stars i think as an alternative 

Archived