Hello From Teesside

slim mole

Hello Forum,

My name is Alex aka 'Slim mole' (don't ask), just joined the group after a few weeks of watching from the outside. Seemed a good place to discuss astronomy, so here I am. I'm just starting out, so apologies in advance for any stupid questions, but would like to learn and possibly even contribute where my skills overlap (I design control systems, so have a good background in electronics and computing). I line on Teesside, which is probably not the best place to observe the skies, so hints and tips on light pollution much appreciated. (yes I know moving somewhere else is an option, likewise closing down all the industry, but I was thinking more along the lines of filters and getting an idea of what is possible/impossible in this sort of area.)

Looking forward to improving my understanding

Regards

Moley

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Moley!

I'm also from your neck of the woods, the works are terrible aren't they but I cant complain they give me my monthly wage lol.

Welcome to the forum, pretty much the best place to start out, don't be embarrassed however silly your question sounds just ask it. 

Rob.

Thanks for the warm welcome, never knew there were so many people from my neck of the woods looking skywards !

Just back in after my first session after doing some research (prior to this I just poked the open end of my telescope vaguely up and hoped for the best). Despite the patchy cloud I managed to find my first galaxy (M31) and although it was just a smudge of light amongst the stars I was impressed, especially after then looking at Vega, and being able to return to M31 without the cursing and swearing that normally accompanied any attempt to find something specific. So, progress already and I only joined 6 hours ago  :grin:

Hi Alex,

Welcome to a lovely place of info and great gossip.

No questions are stupid, so ask away.

(I have been involved over 20 years, yet I bought a scope last month and didn't know how to focus it!) - Durr!

See, who is stupid now. No-one knows til they ask and you never stop learning.

Welcome to SGL, Clear Skies,

Scott.

Hi ken From Peterlee i 've joined a week now joining darlington & teeside astronomical society going to thier next meeting at wynard conseratory to learn more one of thier members gets on star at night on the bbc so i should learn a lot.

Archived