Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

gazed the wonders wonders of the night sky for the best part of 45 years and finally bought a descent telescope

Steve H

I remember when I was around 11 years old being on holiday somewhere in Devon (must be around 1967). What impressed on my young mind at the time was the number of stars that were visible in the dark night sky. Even more lingering in the deep recess of that memory is the haunting white shimmer behind the countless stars visible at the time. My first glimpse of our milky way.

All these years later I still dream about that night sky. Grown up and now and living on the outskirts of London such a site can only remain a memory from many years ago.

The desire to relive that night sky has echoed in the background of my everyday life on countless occasions and never gone away.

It is with great pleasure that I have gone back to simply looking up at the night sky and got completely absorbed by the best free show in the entire universe.

Don't fret over a goto mount or not, a 130, 150 or 200p, just tilt your head back a few degrees and go wow. All the telescope does is amplify it. The wonder is right above your open eyes.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much the same for me took me the best part of 50 years to get my first proper scope. A couple of years ago I would have agreed with you but they have been putting new lights up all around me, taller and brighter. Now if you look up all you get is blinded by the light. Nonetheless a lovely first post . Welcome to SGL

Welcome Steve. It's hard to imagine how anyone could fail to be amazed by a clear night sky, yet so many, it seems, just don't bother to look up. True the naked eye gives mind blowing sights but binoculars and scopes give that extra dimension revealing other layers of beauty, especially when you realise just how far in space and time the light you're seeing has travelled.

Good luck with the scope and clear skies to go with it.

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

I had the same experience staying at my Aunts in Devon as a 10 or 11 year old, this must have been about 1976. Seeing the milky way in all its glory for the first time took my breath away and started a life long love of the heavens. I also only got my first decent scope last year. Welcome.

Very true Steve, welcome to SGL. What frustrates me is that I can spend endless nights observing, searching and fighting the ever-increasing light pollution, and inevitably whenever I come across a really suitable location, and with a really clear sky, I have no scope or binoculars with me - even so you can spend ages without just gazing skywards when the conditions are right. All the best

Phil

Archived