Hello from Yorkshire

Ryan1885

Hi everyone, very much a newbie here. I've been interested in Astronomy ever since 1997 when I saw Comet Hale Bopp through some binoculars in my back garden. I've decided that now is the time to turn my interest into a hobby. I've read an re read reviews and posts on here about how to get the best start. I think I know the sky well enough to invest in my first scope. I've decided on the Skywatcher 8'' dob. It's a great all rounder and I haven't seen a bad word written about it. I hope to buy in the next 6 weeks or so (need the wife's approval! :) ) I look forward to reading everyones posts and eventually posting my own observations. I understand there is a wealth of knowledge in SGL and it has proved extremely valuable to me already.

Thanks Ryan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome. Nice scope (as long as not intending to image - moon excepted). Great for visual observing. As many on here will testify you choose a scope you know you'll use. Dobs are easy to set up and use. Enjoy.

Hi Ryan, I've just bought a 10" dob and had first light last night - you have decided on a good scope. I did all my research on this site and the 200p was the scope almost most people advised was the best all rounder - you have chosen wisely!

Hi Ryan, a warm welcome to SGL. As everyone is, you'd be welcome up at The Astronomy Centre (on the Todmorden/Bacup Road) on any Saturday evening. On Saturday evenings the TAC is open to non-members. You'd receive a warm welcome and have the chance to try out a whole variety of instruments - including 6-10 inch Dobs as well as larger scopes. Use Google to have a look at the web site where there is also location details.

Archived